Power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power

OK, This is deep, maybe to deep. I am just thinking out loud here, bear with me and think this out. Years ago I worked as a Yamaha Tech, when I was going to Devry. On their V-MAX bikes they had an induction system they called V-Boost. If the V-Boost system malfunctioned the bike was noticeably weaker in the upper mid-range and top end of the power band. I had to tear into several of these and had the opportunity to see the system in detail. Basically in the midrange say 5k a butterfly would open up and connect the runners of two cylinders where a single cylinder could draw through two carbs. Below the threshold each cylinder would run on its own (IR) individual runner where each cylinder had is't own carb, like the traditional IR Suzuki system. The performance improvment was big with the V Boost. Has any one seen this played with on any of the Suzuki engines. I know IR systems have distinct advantages over manifolds where several cylinders share a carb, like on a V8, but this V Boost offered a big kick in the azz. I don't want to repeat history, if someone has tried it on an inline 4 and it didn't work good enough to be worth while. I have a machine shop and I have been thinking about building one of these for a project this winter. Something tells me if this was the hot ticket I would see it on the drag strip. But every now and then something new drifts in and makes real power. I guess if you run a big enough carb it would diminish the V Boost. I don't Know if yamaha purposely ran a slightly undersized carb for low end, and relied on the V Boost for top end breathing, or if the carb was comparable to other performance bikes, and the extra breathing added power. I think I am going to pick up a set of the VMX carbs with the V Boost and study them a bit. It might be a little bit of magic, or a big waste of time and money.

the v boost system made the bike feel faster only.
    i have the magazine around here where they disabled the v boost and the bike made more HP with the kerker pipe(s) and st.7 jet kit..

Comment

re

That is about what I thought, like I said if it made power it would be probably be on the race track. I am just a motor head, so I do a lot of exploring.

Comment

Originally posted by Texasgs View Post
        That is about what I thought, like I said if it made power it would be probably be on the race track. I am just a motor head, so I do a lot of exploring.
        Without those who dream, we'd be riding horses instead of motorcycles.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
          the v boost system made the bike feel faster only.
          i have the magazine around here where they disabled the v boost and the bike made more HP with the kerker pipe(s) and st.7 jet kit..
          Hey if you see that magazine again, see if they disconnected the V Boost, and left the connecting butterflys open, where the engine drew threw more than one carb. Or if they left them shut. It would be nice to know.

Comment

V boost and cams on a venture royal. ye haw.

V boost whizmo techno gadget like EXUP, YICS,

helps midrange because of the compromises in the exhaust bending of a cramped V4 and due to tiny 35mm carbs yamaha put on them. 2 flow at 1 time for 70mm of carb potential W.O.T. and a vacuum sensor to know when. the power is not created but manipulated so the midrange torque curve has no dip 4K~7K rpm.

our inlines flow so much better across the whole rev range. but there are improvements to be made on every level.

tune the intake tract length for 2nd harmonic-- most are too short. 10K rpm is about 13"~14"

exhaust primary length and diameter can be changed for a specific RPM-- most are too fat and too long - also matching to the intake .then the collector diameter and secondary diameter/length/diffuser angle.

cams timed to accentuate the rev range you are tuning everything else to.

blah blah inline 4's potential for 60% more over stock is easy.

from 70HP to 112HP is a breeze.
            SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Working...
            X