questions about modding an 81 gs750l

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

questions about modding an 81 gs750l

got a few questions. this is my first bike and my first time customizing a bike.
    1: i want to lower the rear and i would like to find shorter shocks and springs so i can do it the right way instead of cutting the springs.

2: I want to find a set of drag pipes for it

3: i want to know if i can and how hard it would be to put a corbin gunfighter seat on it

4: i want to swap out the stock 3.3 gal tank for something bigger like a gs 850 tank, what kind of work would i have to do to make it fit and would it fit with a stock 750l seat

Any info i can get on these questions would be awesome, thanks for your time!

Hi there and welcome. I've been on a similar track with my 81 GS750E.

1: you can search for shorter shocks on ebay. Uncompressed eye to clevis on mine were around 13". I found a set that measured 12.5". Not much of a drop, but I also changed the rear wheel to a gsxr wheel that's small in dia.

2: Search for a Vance and Hines Sidewinder header and megaphone.

3: Don't know

4: Oh, you can make anything fit. Take measurements of the front mounting point and rear. The rear can more easily modified.

5: Source 93-96 gsxr front end and do swap to USD forks and 16" front wheel.

BTW, got any pics of your bike?

Comment

Thanks fo the help! i dont have any pics yet, but come sping time when its all done up ill be putting up some pics. im lookign to probbly drop the rear down about 2 inches. i cut about 1 1/2"-2" out of the stock springs for mock up puroseses and i love the way it sits, and actually the way it rides also. To get that kind of stance im pretty sure i would need 11" shocks and springs. oh well i guess that the pint of a chopper is to be chopped huh? lol

Comment

Your better off getting new shocks rather than cutting the springs. I'm sure you could cut and re-weld the mounting points to change the angle of the shocks.
        You might like this build.
        http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=136923

He did an awesome job on this chopper/bobber

Comment

Working...
        X