GS1100E performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100E performance

Sorry if this has been covered before but I couldn't find a thread using the searh function. I have a stock 1983 GS1100E with the exception of a old vance and hines 4 into 1 exhaust. The motor has 50,000 miles on it and seems to run great but I am wondering about the top end performance. It accelerates very hard to about 100 MPH but then seems to run out of steam. I have had it to 115 but at that speed it is about done ( very little acceleration). The jetting is stock but the plugs look great ( very light tan). The advancer is working and the timing is set per the owners manual. Valves are adjusted. Compression is 100-105 psig in all 4 cylinders ( on the low side but still in servicable limit). Does this sound reasonable for a stock bike? I also have a GS700ES with a Yosh pipe and PODS ( Carbs have been rejettet for this) it does not accelerate as hard as the 1100 but has a higher top end speed so I was just wondering.

It might be lean on the main jet. Some plug chops might be in order. Your tan plugs may be a result of the low speed jetting being okay (where the engine spends most of it's time), but it could still be lean on the main.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I had slightly richer main jets in it and it would miss at full throttle higher RPM. I should add those jets appeared to be dyna jet jets and were number 115 ( I think ). Going back to the factory main jets allowed it to run cleanly. The bike does have the stock airbox in place.

Comment

dynojets aren't the same as mikuni.

Comment

According to this: http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=64769 your 115 Dynojet mains were the same as the 107.5 Mikuni mains your bike runs as standard.

Is everything else in your carbs stock and is the air filter clean?

Don't forget to check your fuel tap - at 115mph and WOT your carbs will be drinking petrol like it's going out of fashion and the tap / filter will have to be flowing A1 to cope with the demand.
          79 GS1000S
          79 GS1000S (another one)
          80 GSX750
          80 GS550
          80 CB650 cafe racer
          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
            According to this: http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=64769 your 115 Dynojet mains were the same as the 107.5 Mikuni mains your bike runs as standard.

Is everything else in your carbs stock and is the air filter clean?

Don't forget to check your fuel tap - at 115mph and WOT your carbs will be drinking petrol like it's going out of fashion and the tap / filter will have to be flowing A1 to cope with the demand.
            With the 4:1 he is probably running lean and needs to increase the jetting. With pods and the 4:1 he should be at DJ 132-138
            Last edited by posplayr; 01-06-2011, 06:06 PM.

Comment

The jets per my shop manual are 112.5 ( which is what I installed) and ran leaner than the dynojets. At least the missing stopped. A plug chop with new plugs is probably in order. The ones that looked good had a couple of thousand miles on them. It is not like I run the bike that hard very often and finding a place to run it that hard for any distance is not that easy either. Never considered the petcock. It doesn't miss or have any type of hesitation just kind of runs out of steam at that speed. What kind of top end do you guys with a stock bike see and how fast does it get there?

Comment

Those main jet figs I used were for the earlier 1100 - your 112.5s are right for your year - my mistake for not reading your post properly. But this means that the Dynojet mains you removed were smaller than the Mikuni jets you replaced them with. And yet it ran leaner - odd?

115mph on a stock 1100 is easy - you can get there in the blink of an eye accelerating hard (and then back off as you realise you're going so fast). You've got something wrong somewhere - either that or your 40 stones and towing a parachute. I guess your chain and sprockets aren't shagged and the brakes aren't binding?

Plug chops would be my first port of call - low speed in top, a long hill and WOT for a short burst will show you what's happening.
                79 GS1000S
                79 GS1000S (another one)
                80 GSX750
                80 GS550
                80 CB650 cafe racer
                75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

with smoothbores and a 4-1 and some other things I was over 140 (on the speedo) I have the reverse problem with my 700... I only get to about 115 and it's done. pods and pipe. messed with it forever - never nailed that one.

Comment

Throw some 117.5 main jets in it and go
                    Those compression numbers are on a warm engine with the throttle wide open?
                    I wouldn't think top speed would be much more than 125mph with a stock motor.
                    My 1230 was at 135 with a barn door.
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

what RPM are you at in top gear when it slows? does it do the same thing in 4th gear at the same RPM?

the final gearing, is it stock too? a 630-14 sprocket up front will have you topped out at 110 no matter what jetting you have.

have you tried the enrichner/choke when it is W.O.T. and at the end of it's accelleration? to enrichen the engine as a diagnostic
                      SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Pulling out to pass a line of four cars from 100 km/h had me over 220 km/h by the time I pulled back in. I think you have a very sick 1100 there. And I know mine is running lean.

Comment

With a VHR pipe and the airbox you should use around a 115 main jet (genuine Mikuni).
                          Your compression is very weak, as I recall my '82 EZ had around 150psi on the good cylinders when I checked it. Given such a large difference, it looks like yours needs to be freshened up.
                          That bike should run over 110mph in just a 1/4 mile dragstrip run (assuming the rider isn't huge).

Comment

Originally posted by jimb12 View Post
                            With a VHR pipe and the airbox you should use around a 115 main jet (genuine Mikuni).
                            Your compression is very weak, as I recall my '82 EZ had around 150psi on the good cylinders when I checked it. Given such a large difference, it looks like yours needs to be freshened up.
                            That bike should run over 110mph in just a 1/4 mile dragstrip run (assuming the rider isn't huge).
                            I agree with this. My 82 GS1100E with 40,000 miles has 150psi across all cyl. As mentioned earlier, make sure to take the readings with the engine warm and throttle wide open.

A good running stock GS1100E will have 90+ rwhp and top out round 135-140mph

Comment

Thanks for all the input. Have not had a chance to do plug chops yet but will get to it as soon as weather and time permits. The compression tests were done on a warm motor but I neglecteted to open the throttle fully. My compression tester is one for a car which I built an adapter for to fit the bike. it has more volume in the hose and adapter than a unit deaigned for the bike alone and that would probably account for a somewhat lowere reading. Also the gage hasn't been calibrated so I can't vouch for its accuracy I was mainly looking for consistaincy between the cylinders which it has. The gearing is stock along with the rest of the bike ( Except for the header. Acceleartion is ferocious ( arm stretching scary I also have a 2001 ZRX 1200R kawasaki so I am familiar with fairly hard accelerationg bikes) up to 100MPH or so and then starts to flatten off. This really isn't a huge concern as 100MPH is very fast for me anyway. I will do the plug chops and get back with you guy's. Could the stock gearing be too short?

Comment

Working...
                              X