No announcement yet.

GS1100E performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good to see you are on the right track, looks like you should have it sorted in no time.
    There is real good advice and a wealth of knowledge here, from people who know their GS's in side out, all you have to do is take it

RacingJake
    Get some real jets like Mikuni 140's then come back and post the speeding ticket for 140 mph plus

1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
    1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
    1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
    1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
    01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

With those kind of credentials, I would take note when advise is given, don't mess around, just get a set of 140's

Comment

Update on the jetting. My 135 mikunis finally came in and I installed them on sunday. Power seemed about the same as with the 125s maybe a little softer in the midrange. Plugs are still not showing much color however I noticed another issue that may answer my top speed issue. On one of the passes the speedo was only reaching about 95-100mph but I noticed the Tach was still climbing. I backed out at an indicated 7000 RPM. At home I checked the gearing and found it was not stock. 15 tooth counter and 40 tooth rear. Given the circumference of the tire (82 inches) the speed would have been 119MPH. I believe the bike is a little faster in 4th gear as I think I made 8500 RPM in that gear (123MPH). Anyway as it now stands I am running 135 mains, 47.5 pilots and the mixture screw 3 turns out from seated. I may experiment with the meedles some but overall it runs pretty good. My speedo works good up to about 70 but seems to develop some issues above that ( not a big problem because I rarely run it faster than that). Thanks for all your inputs.

Comment

Just thought I would post one final update. The 135 jets seemed to really soften up the top end and not make as much power as the 125's did so I went back to the 125's. This is probably about right as the vance and hines website says 122.5 are what is required given the pipe and air cleaner configuration my bike has. One further item is I re-ran the compression test and this time made sure the throttle was wide open. with the throttle wide open compression was 160 PSIG across the board. With it closed or partially open 100 PSIG was all I could get. Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
          With the 4:1 he is probably running lean and needs to increase the jetting. With pods and the 4:1 he should be at DJ 132-138
          1100E standard 4:1 and k&N pods with Dyno jet kit is 132-138 which equates to 125-130 Mikuni (see the conversions). Unless you have 1150 carbs or cams you would be on the low side (read 125). The next issue is did you change to a slotted needle? Rapid Ray has them for sale.

Comment

The bike has the factory air cleaner on it not POD's so the 125's are probably fine. V&H stated for a stock bike like mine with just the 4 to 1 header 122.5 was the recommendation. I have not looked at the needles to see if they have slots but do not have any issues at partial throttle it runs great.

Comment

Originally posted by rasndas View Post
              The bike has the factory air cleaner on it not POD's so the 125's are probably fine. V&H stated for a stock bike like mine with just the 4 to 1 header 122.5 was the recommendation. I have not looked at the needles to see if they have slots but do not have any issues at partial throttle it runs great.
              I got that part from V&H but am giving you first hand experience with jetting a stock and K&N podded 4:1 GS1100ED, (I have one sitting in my back yard with DJ 132's and pods)but I guess all that matters is if you are happy with it.
              Last edited by posplayr; 03-22-2011, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X