Looking for performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for performance

What is a good mod to get a little performance out of a 1983 GS400E ?? and suggestions or websites would be appreciated!!
    Thanks

When you are talking about a little performance out of it, what exactly do you mean? Are you looking for stock speeds or racing stuff? Have you looked over Basscliff's pages yet: http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/?

What have you done so far? Are the:

Carbs dipped and cleaned thoroughly with orings replaced?
    Intake orings replaced?
    Intake boots replaced if necessary?
    Exhaust pipes the right ones for the bike and if necessary was the bike rejetted if you put different ones on?
    Air Filter new and box sealed?
    If using pods, was it jetted for them?
    Valve clearances checked and adjusted?
    chain and sprockets in good shape?
    Brakes good?
    Rubber brake lines replaced?

Fill us in?
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Yea, do all the maintenance and if the bike still doesn't run to your liking sell it and get a bigger bike.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Get some Keihin CR carbs.

But then there's the issue of the carbs costing two times more than the actual bike.

Cheapest upgrade you can find is a bigger bike.

Comment

1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by moose200 View Post
            What is a good mod to get a little performance out of a 1983 GS400E ?? and suggestions or websites would be appreciated!!
            Thanks
            Sell it and buy an 1100E....for a "little" performance...

Otherwise...buy something made in this century....
            Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
            '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

An adjustable powerband would be nice for the 400 so you can give it more torque down low.

Comment

Yea I think I may have to upgrade...Its a great first bike, but I want something that can get up and go....So it will ether be a bigger GS or a cruiser. I was thinking of keeping it for another year so when I go on my own insurance for the first year it wouldn't be to bad, but I was hoping for a cheap mod to get some more power

Comment

We have a 69 mm piston kit for them.
                  Speed Merchant
                  http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

Originally posted by moose200 View Post
                    ..., but I want something that can get up and go....So it will ether be a bigger GS or a cruiser. ...
                    Well, if you want to "get up and go", it does not necessarily have to be a bigger GS, but you won't be happy with a "cruiser".

Your almost-30-year-old 400 will keep up with many of the much larger "cruisers" in a street-bound drag race and will definitely run away from them in the corners.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

What Steve just said. Also, SUSPENSION work, braided steel brake lines & GOOD tires will make that bike able to be ridden a LOT faster! Possibly faster than your abilities. Ray.

Comment

nitrous is cheap and easy.

5% better chassis handling is the same as having 15% more horse power.

springs shocks tires and braking system upgrades honestly give more than they take. -- unless you are dealing with 20 someting H.P. and it feels like your bike has asthma from the exhaust of a city bus.

First you must consider the cost just to get a larger bike because you do not get 100% out of what you invest into any regular bike.

The real deal is- you have to understand a 400cc bike in traffic has to work twice as hard as a 800. So you are meant to rev it to the moon and shift like you are tap dancing. Just change the oil and filter, ride it for what it is. shucks at least it will go 80mph all day long- nevermind tossing about by the wind.

make plans for a better bike that fits your needs and style.

riding a low powered bike that you are totally bored of helps you iin many ways;
                        1 helps develop traffic savvy
                        2 you get to play with extreme counter steering
                        3 charcter and quick wit to retort people taunting you
                        4 patience
                        5 what it feels like to W.O.T. and not break the speed limit.
                        SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Working...
                        X