Rejetting carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rejetting carbs

I have an '82 gs 750e, I was thinking about putting on a 4 into 1 exhaust.I've heard about rejetting the carbs when you do this, how hard is this to do and do I have to remove the carbs to do this.my bike is running a little lean anyway,I see some people talk about turning the screws in or out,these mikuni carbs are pre set at the factory,how do you do that? Thanx Gurus. (wassup Rapidray!)

Depends on the pipe since they all breath differently.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

if you remove the air box and go with individual filter(NOT EMGO'S) you will need a st.3 jet kit as the GS vacuum carbs can not be jetted to perform properly with out the special needles(st.3 jet kit).

Comment

Jetting carbs

Thanx for the helpful info guys,but once again,do I have to remove the carbs to re-jet them?

Comment

Originally posted by JAYD View Post
          Thanx for the helpful info guys,but once again,do I have to remove the carbs to re-jet them?
          It is easiest to remove the carbs;

Main jets swap out from the bottom;
          Needles can be adjusted with carbs still in place as you unscrew teh caps from above to get to teh dampers.

With carbs off and while you are in there:
          Recheck the float levels.
          Double check other pilot jets (no need to strip them but if you can get them to budge is best) to make sure no one has swapped them out.

General cleaning (spray out the ports/passages) with carb cleaner spray never hurt.

Comment

Rejetting

Thanx posplayr,that makes sense,I only figured that I had a heck of a time getting the carbs back on when I replaced the starter,I wouldn't bother goin' thru that again.Maybe I'll just leave it stock and pick up a nice GS 1100 like u got! She's a beauty.Why rebuild when u can just by buy bigger and faster,especially since there are so many people willing to let these beautiful machines go for peanuts!They don't know what their giving up!
            Last edited by Guest; 02-05-2011, 04:17 PM. Reason: err

Comment

Originally posted by JAYD View Post
              Thanx posplayr,that makes sense,I only figured that I had a heck of a time getting the carbs back on when I replaced the starter,I wouldn't bother goin' thru that again.Maybe I'll just leave it stock and pick up a nice GS 1100 like u got! She's a beauty.Why rebuild when u can just by buy bigger and faster,especially since there are so many people willing to let these beautiful machines go for peanuts!They don't know what their giving up!
              Your bike looks nice, but you will never mistake an 1100 for a 750 after you ride one . The is a clean 1166 ED for sale right now in LA for $2400 I think. That is stupid cheap when you consider what it takes to reproduce something like that.

Comment

Working...
              X