Cafe/fighter/turbo build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cafe/fighter/turbo build

I havent posted any progress pics over here in a while so I figured I would share a few pics of my project. The link at the bottom will explain all the details.
    New MTC 7.8:1 turbo pistons

APE head studs and pistons

Cylinders honed, wired,decked, and chamfered by Pearson Racing.

Top end on

Bike as she is sitting now

Here is a link to the whole build over at OSS

Still have allot left to do but its starting to come together.

What did you use to glue the head gasket? Also, next time the head comes off, remove the COPPER wire used to oring the tops of the cylinders & replace it with STAINLESS wire or PIANO wire. I tell you this from 30 years racing engine building experience & the fact that the copper wire will crush & eventually lead to a blown head gasket. The stainless wire or piano wire will not crush & have that problem. Alot of people use copper wire because it is easy to get & install. I go the little extra to prevent failures. Are you using the stock 1150 cams? They are about the very best for a turbo application! Ray.

Comment

Head gasket and all mating surfaces got two coats of gaska-cintch apply let dry (tacky) apply second coat.
      I went back and forth on the wire and for every person that says use steel or the like there is one that says use copper. Not doubting you or your experience, I figured I have a 50/50 chance. If I end up with a problem steel will go in for sure.
      I have not been able to positively identify the cams. I was told they were 1150 cams but when I took all the measurements they match the dimensions given in the 1100 manual for tolerances, which they are within spec. So I dont really know Is there a way to tell them apart??

Comment

Originally posted by gsryder View Post
        Head gasket and all mating surfaces got two coats of gaska-cintch apply let dry (tacky) apply second coat.
        I went back and forth on the wire and for every person that says use steel or the like there is one that says use copper. Not doubting you or your experience, I figured I have a 50/50 chance. If I end up with a problem steel will go in for sure.
        I have not been able to positively identify the cams. I was told they were 1150 cams but when I took all the measurements they match the dimensions given in the 1100 manual for tolerances, which they are within spec. So I dont really know Is there a way to tell them apart??
        Indeed I have the same problem,a set off an 1150 head and a 1100 head mixed up in a box...someone chim in..

Comment

The exhaust cam will NOT have the tach drive machined into it. I will have to go dig out a set & tell you which #s are on them, but the exhaust cam is easy to identify. Ray.

Comment

I just went out and checked I have two sets of cams and both have the gear for the mech. tacho. so between that and the measurements I took I am guessing that they are 1100 cams. I still have allot to do, maybe I will look for a set of 1150 cams if I can come across a set cheap.
            How much of a difference do you think it will make, I am not really going for big big HP numbers??

Comment

Working...
            X