Oil pressure switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil pressure switch

If someone could please verify for me on a standard 81 GS1100 on the oil pressure switch / assembly cover plate.

If you want to use it for a oil supply AND return.........where the oil pressure switch is would be the supply (oil out) and (the part I am not sure about) the part that looks like a temp sensor facing towards the back on a angle could be removed and used as a return?????

I have read numerous posts on the oil diverter blocks for oil coolers but mostly for the 8Vs and I not sure that they are any different or the same.
    But they all appear to take the supply from the center (oil pressure switch) and then return oil toward the back.

Is there no oil pressure at the back of the cover??? I see the little grooves but just not sure how it flows. The diagrams in the manual just show line diagram and dont get into detail.

The oil distribution cavity receives oil feed from the oil pump. The oil then fills the cavity and the flow splits: some goes to the cylinder...and then the head, and the rest goes to the transmission. The oil inlet to the cavity is on the floor of the cavity, roughly 1/2" below the top of the cover with the oil pressure fitting and temp sensor. If you take off the cover you will understand what I'm saying.

If you want to pick up the oil flow from the pump you need an extension piece to go down into the cavity and divert the flow into a pipe of some sort (such as for an oil cooler). Once the oil is cooled, you can dump the oil back into the oil distribution cavity which it can then go to feed the engine.

Hope this helps.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Yes thank you that confirms what I thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
        The oil distribution cavity receives oil feed from the oil pump. The oil then fills the cavity and the flow splits: some goes to the cylinder...and then the head, and the rest goes to the transmission. The oil inlet to the cavity is on the floor of the cavity, roughly 1/2" below the top of the cover with the oil pressure fitting and temp sensor. If you take off the cover you will understand what I'm saying.

If you want to pick up the oil flow from the pump you need an extension piece to go down into the cavity and divert the flow into a pipe of some sort (such as for an oil cooler). Once the oil is cooled, you can dump the oil back into the oil distribution cavity which it can then go to feed the engine.

Hope this helps.
        Ed,

I agree, but this is some what of a tricky business . You have to capture nearly the entire flow else nothing will go to the cooler.

gsryder

To understand the point, If there is no pressure difference between the inlet to the capturing port and the outlet of the exiting port there will be no flow through the cooler.

Since the area under the cover will be essentially filled with oil , and the inlet and exit to the cooler are at nearly the same location, the neck needs to capture 85%-95%+ of the oil flow in order to insure the cooler is flowing.

The neck needs to be a close fit to the port, or ideally even slip inside of the port to capture the majority of the flow with minimal leakage.

This has been covered before so do a search but just to reiterate:

a.) most N. American 1100/1150's use the front banjo ports on either side of the oil cover. In Japan many use the rear cover similar to an 8V engine (rear cover with a diverting tube).

b.) Don't get the bright idea to capture oil from the rear cover and return it to the front oil filter cover. That will have unintended consequences including diverting your oil flow around your oil filter.

Search for oil cooler by me to read up on this.

I would highly recommend getting an oil pressure gauge to confirm any of these types of oil system modifications.

Comment

Working...
        X