GS1000/ZRX 1100 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000/ZRX 1100 swap

I'm putting front end swing-arm brakes wheels etc. on my GS1000 I started today with the swing arm mock up. I need to shave some of the inside of the frame and I will be drilling the frame to use the thicker arm bolt.
    Mock up shots.

Originally posted by Mr. Wog View Post
    I'm putting front end swing-arm brakes wheels etc. on my GS1000 I started today with the swing arm mock up. I need to shave some of the inside of the frame and I will be drilling the frame to use the thicker arm bolt.
    Mock up shots.
    Friendly suggestion from a guy who has done the same operation a few times:

"Don't fix what ain't broken."

Keep the frame mods to a minimum. Instead of shaving off the insides of the frame and drilling a larger hole for the swingarm pivot, take some off the swingarm on either side and make bushings that fit the GS1000 swingarm axle and the ZXR swingarm bearings.

It's much easier to do it that way around.

With that said, I think it's going to look great!

Comment

Thanks I just started today and was toying with that, prolly the best way.
      I'll go that route.

Comment

Waltari has done the same mod with his Kat. I think he shaved the arm as well. I had PMd him a few times about it as I was thinking about this mod.

Also, it is easier to replaced a screwed up swing arm then a fixing a frame with papers.

He is a member here and on the Katriders.com site.

Comment

no brainer... take the meat off the swinger and make bushes to use the stock pivot

Comment

Love that paint scheme, Mr Wog.
            Looking forward to the rest of this project.
            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

i just subscribed, i plan on this as well, once i get my motor back together. I have a early zrx swing on the shelf for my yosh rep. I would also suggest working the swing arm instead of the frame.... unless the zrx came with a hollow pivot bolt.. but it doesn't.
              78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
              82 Kat 1000 Project
              05 CRF450x
              10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Interesting...

I am currently in the process of installing a '85 1150E swing arm into my '79 GS1000S.
                Going to have to watch your progress.

Daniel

Comment

Swing-arm bolt

Ok so I had a machine shop make some bushings so I could use the stock GS bolt. I could not get a bearing that would size the bolt with the ZRX swing-arm. So he also made a bushing for the inside of stock ZRX bushing. Now the swing-arm will be cut to fit the GS frame.
                  Moving along.

I'll also may be moving the mounting points for the ZRX shocks, they are 1 1/2 inches longer.We'll see when I get to that part of the mock up.

Comment

1.5" is fine, a few of us run ikon shocks 1.5" over stock and the bike responds much better.
                    78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                    82 Kat 1000 Project
                    05 CRF450x
                    10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Originally posted by first timer View Post
                      1.5" is fine, a few of us run ikon shocks 1.5" over stock and the bike responds much better.
                      Agreed. Makes these heavy girls handle a bit lighter. Mind you the tip in will be faster so take that into consideration. But nothing dangerous. A steering damper would be a sweet addition too.

Comment

shocks

Yes I have had taller shocks and changed fork heights on bikes, on a ZRX I had I rotated the eccentrics. I'm thinking of relocating because I don't know if I like the stance.Meaning the look of them being more straight up and down than pitched more. forward.
                        Just a looks thingy I guess.

Comment

Update

So a little update
                          The swing arm is on and shocks are fitted and the front end is on. I need to make some mounts for the GS gauges and I had to modify the fairing mounting brackets when the top mounts are on the fairing lines up nice with the stripe on the tank. I and have to finish shaping the seat and cover it I haven't made up my mind on the seat yet.
                          I just today media blasted the wheels to get ready to paint. I need to paint the swing-arm and some small brackets. I usually powder coat my bits but sad to say I working on a low play $ budget. To many projects to finish.
                          Moving forward
                          Paul

The shocks tilt in just a tad, with the swing arm being wider I had some bushing/spacers made to fit the ZRX shocks to the stock mounting point. with the shocks bushings being rubber mounted I should be okay.

Comment

Is this the Mr. Wog from the ZRX forum who does the seats?

Comment

Originally posted by russr33 View Post
                              Is this the Mr. Wog from the ZRX forum who does the seats?
                              That would be me

Comment

Working...
                              X