Jet kit/air pods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jet kit/air pods

So I am planning on running the air pods for my 81 gs650. I dont want to buy cheap quality ones so I am going to buy K&N, but I am having trouble finding a part number for them. Any one know what ones will fit?

I am also going to buy a dynojet stage 3 jet kit (most likely off ebay). My next question is, Should I also buy a carb rebuilt kit as well?, or will the dynojet kit be good enough? Any help would be greatly appreciated, I wanna get my bike back together and running asap! Thanks!

Can't help you with the part numbers, but if you are going to have your carbs off the bike to change the jets, and you have never done a "freshening up" with an o-ring kit, I would highly recommend it. Don't get what is sold on eBay as "rebuild kits", get the o-ring and stainless hardware kit from cycleorings.com. You will get a complete set of o-rings for the carbs and fuel transfer tubes in the main kit. Splurge, spend the extra penny, order the o-rings for the drain screws, too. Don't forget to get the o-rings for the intake tubes and the stainless screws that hold the tubes to the head. All together, it's less than $25.
    (By the way, just one "rebuild kit" is usually about $25 and does not include all the o-rings you need for the carb, let alone all the others. And, ... you would have to buy FOUR of them. )

How are the carbs running now? Is this a new bike to you or is it one you have been running for a while? If you don't really KNOW the condition of the carbs or if you know that it has been sitting for a while, you would probably want to dip the carbs while you have them apart to replace the o-rings. Yeah, it will cost you another $20 for a can of Berryman's Carb Cleaner Dip, but the peace of mind from having clean, fresh, virtually NEW carbs is definitely worth it.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

K&N shows one for the E model (2 pairs), but I suspect you have a G model. If so, you have Mikuni BS32SS carbs. You may need to measure the O.D. and get their generic filters. http://www.knfilters.com/universal/universal.htm

Comment

Originally posted by bluefire and View Post
        So I am planning on running the air pods for my 81 gs650. I dont want to buy cheap quality ones so I am going to buy K&N, but I am having trouble finding a part number for them. Any one know what ones will fit?

I am also going to buy a dynojet stage 3 jet kit (most likely off ebay). My next question is, Should I also buy a carb rebuilt kit as well?, or will the dynojet kit be good enough? Any help would be greatly appreciated, I wanna get my bike back together and running asap! Thanks!
        I've "heard" that there are fake DJ kits out there. I'd recommend buying the kit from a reputable dealer. www.denniskirk.com has the best deals.
        sigpic

82 GS850
        78 GS1000
        04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
        .................________-|___\____
        ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Can't help you with the part numbers, but if you are going to have your carbs off the bike to change the jets, and you have never done a "freshening up" with an o-ring kit, I would highly recommend it. Don't get what is sold on eBay as "rebuild kits", get the o-ring and stainless hardware kit from cycleorings.com. You will get a complete set of o-rings for the carbs and fuel transfer tubes in the main kit. Splurge, spend the extra penny, order the o-rings for the drain screws, too. Don't forget to get the o-rings for the intake tubes and the stainless screws that hold the tubes to the head. All together, it's less than $25.
          (By the way, just one "rebuild kit" is usually about $25 and does not include all the o-rings you need for the carb, let alone all the others. And, ... you would have to buy FOUR of them. )

How are the carbs running now? Is this a new bike to you or is it one you have been running for a while? If you don't really KNOW the condition of the carbs or if you know that it has been sitting for a while, you would probably want to dip the carbs while you have them apart to replace the o-rings. Yeah, it will cost you another $20 for a can of Berryman's Carb Cleaner Dip, but the peace of mind from having clean, fresh, virtually NEW carbs is definitely worth it.

The bike is somewhat new to me. It had been sitting for a year when i bought it, so i ripped the carbs off and cleaned them. I got the bike running for about 20 minutes to make sure it ran, then ripped the whole thing apart and started hacking away. I'll definitely just buy the new o-rings and everything that way i know everything is new and i wont have to worry about it. Thanks a bunch!

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
            K&N shows one for the E model (2 pairs), but I suspect you have a G model. If so, you have Mikuni BS32SS carbs. You may need to measure the O.D. and get their generic filters. http://www.knfilters.com/universal/universal.htm

Yeah I have the GL model...shaft drive and "cruiser" style....not so much anymore but thats what it used to be. Guess ill just have to check the diameter of the carbs next time. Thanks!

Originally posted by Octain View Post
            I've "heard" that there are fake DJ kits out there. I'd recommend buying the kit from a reputable dealer. www.denniskirk.com has the best deals.
            Thanks for the heads up! I used to buy stuff from there back when i had a quad

Comment

Originally posted by bluefireant View Post
              The bike is somewhat new to me. It had been sitting for a year when i bought it, so i ripped the carbs off and cleaned them. I got the bike running for about 20 minutes to make sure it ran, then ripped the whole thing apart and started hacking away. I'll definitely just buy the new o-rings and everything that way i know everything is new and i wont have to worry about it. Thanks a bunch!

"Hacking away" huh? What are your plans for the bike, bobber or cafe?
              Pics are always a welcome treat around these parts.
              We'd love to see your build!
              sigpic

82 GS850
              78 GS1000
              04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
              .................________-|___\____
              ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.

theres the progress so far...i kinda ran out of money/materials so i had to stop for a bit. I have spring break from school in 2 weeks so i am hoping to get as much done as possible that week.

Comment

Working...
                X