Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1980 GS850G Fork Upgrad Recommendations??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS850G Fork Upgrad Recommendations??

I'm just finishing up some rebuild and hop-up work on a 1980 GS850 and would like to do something with the front end. I put 15lbs of air in the front forks, but they still feel pretty soft and bouncy and it looks like the fork seals need to be replaced as well.

I've never had this type of fork apart before, but should be able to handle it (any special tools needed??).

What I'm looking for is some straight forward advice on oil weight to use, some recommendations on replacement springs, and preload heights.

I'm not going to be racing this, but would like it to perform well.

Any advice to help this "newbie" would be greatly appreciated. I've been searching the forum here, but am not really finding the info I'm looking for. Will search some more, but if you could respond here, that would be great.

Thanks!

Darin Jordan
    Renton, WA

Sonic or Progressive fork springs are pretty standard, along with fresh fork oil while you're at it, and fork seals if you need 'em.

With the proper springs in place, you won't need to rely on air pressure.

Once the forks are working properly, a Tarozzi fork brace helps keep things in line, but it's certainly not necessary.

Upgrade the brakes while you're at it as well -- with good modern brake pads and stainless lines, GS brakes work surprisingly well.

There's plenty of info, including info on forks, on Basscliff's site:

Calibration (which springs to get, and how much to preload them) depends on your weight and riding style. We can assume your riding style is "sporty", but what's your approximate mass?
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
      Sonic or Progressive fork springs are pretty standard, along with fresh fork oil while you're at it, and fork seals if you need 'em.

With the proper springs in place, you won't need to rely on air pressure.

Once the forks are working properly, a Tarozzi fork brace helps keep things in line, but it's certainly not necessary.

Upgrade the brakes while you're at it as well -- with good modern brake pads and stainless lines, GS brakes work surprisingly well.

There's plenty of info, including info on forks, on Basscliff's site:

Calibration (which springs to get, and how much to preload them) depends on your weight and riding style. We can assume your riding style is "sporty", but what's your approximate mass?

While I was searching around, I found some Progressive springs for my bike and have them on the way. Just need to figure out which seals to get and what weight oil.

I weigh 216lbs and am 6'3". You are correct... I'm just a spirited sport rider. I like performance, but just want to have fun.

Comment

Got the Progressive Springs and new seals. I know the recommendation for the "average rider" is 15wt oil.... I'm about 220lbs dressed and 6'3", and ride "spirited" from time to time... Should I go with 20wt oil???

Comment

I'd try 15W and change it if necessary. Weight would have more effect on your pre-load; aim for about 25% sag, or 1.5".

Comment

I agree with the start at 15w for the new springs.

I am running stock springs on my GSes (so far) and have switched to 10w.

On my Wing, the previous owner installed Progressive springs and 15w oil, I had to switch to 10w because my wrists were getting jarred at every little irregularity in the road and would hurt after about two hours of riding. Simply switching to 10w cured that and I am now able to go all day. Some days have involved 14 hours and over 700 miles.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hi,

From my little website:

Install Progressive Fork Springs

Fork Seal Replacement

Fork Seal Replacement: Includes complete disassembly (by Mr. Matchless)

At first I used 15wt fork oil with my Progressive springs. I also went back to 10wt, with no air.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

All of the above, plus cartridge emulators.
                A sweet ride.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                  Hi,

From my little website:

Install Progressive Fork Springs

Fork Seal Replacement

Fork Seal Replacement: Includes complete disassembly (by Mr. Matchless)

At first I used 15wt fork oil with my Progressive springs. I also went back to 10wt, with no air.

BassCliff

BassCliff... Already had those .pdfs in the garage! They're all covered with dirt, grease, and fork oil now! VERY helpful!!

Got the job done. Everything back together, and even installed the freshly painted fender.

Now just to wait for the carb parts to get here!....

Comment

Hi,

Lookin' schweeet!

BassCliff

Comment

If one just wants to change the fork oil, on a set of forks, like mine, that were just disassembled and cleaned, CAN it be done while still mounted on the bike? In other words, is there an acceptable process for utilizing the drain holes and can this be done accurately??

Just mentally preparing myself for what I'll need to do when I hear the "I told you so's" in my head and decide that I should swap out the fork oil for a lighter weight... Would love not to have to completely remove these again.

Comment

There is a small phillips head drain screw on the bottom of each fork slider. No need to pull the forks to change the oil.
                        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                          There is a small phillips head drain screw on the bottom of each fork slider. No need to pull the forks to change the oil.
                          Oil will shoot thirty feet out of the side if you compress the forks with the screw out!

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                            Oil will shoot thirty feet out of the side if you compress the forks with the screw out!
                            Just curious after the oil shoots out all over the garage how does one fill them up with oil?

Comment

Put the plugs back in, remove the upper caps. fill will oil (the proper amount, of course).

Not sure if you have air caps on there. If you do, you can unscrew the air fitting and fill through that.
                              If not, you have to unscrew the entire cap, which will release spring pressure, so be ready for that.
                              Unless you hold up the front of the bike with some kind of brace, you only want to do one fork leg at a time.

There is a 'trick' to putting the caps back on, let us know when you are ready for that.

If you have to remove the caps, this is also the perfect time to adjust your preload.
                              How much does your suspension 'sag' when you are sitting on the bike?

Last edited by Steve; 03-03-2011, 12:26 PM.
                              sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                              X