Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'78 GS1000 carb and mild performance options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'78 GS1000 carb and mild performance options?

Hi all, we've recently gotten a 1978 GS1000 that we plan on making some sort of sporty bike out of. Our normal day to day work is custom rigid Triumph twins, so this is a bit of a departure to say the least.

Our current thinking is to use the front half of the frame, the (mostly) stock motor, and that's about it. Tank, seat, rear subframe etc will all be fabricated in house, and we'll use sportbike suspension all around since all the cool kids are doing it. Basically something that rides like a sportbike with torque, and isn't a sportbike.

Compared to an average GS this bike should be a flyweight, so we're not overly concerned with tremendous additional horsepower. Beyond a good stock rebuild with some headwork, I'd imagine we'll limit ourselves to carb tuning, velocity stacks and of course a non stock 4-1 exhaust.

My main question is are the stock 26mm carbs adequate for a mild performance engine such as described, or would I realize some easy performance switching to somethign else? Is there another factory application carb that works well (ie 750 katana carbs or something)? We prefer to mix and match parts from models where practical rather than just spending our way to something, if you know what I mean. I've read a gazillion threads here and don't have a good answer, probably becaue there is lot of referring to carbs by nomenclature rather that what they came on...I'm sort of slow that way.

Also, is there anything I need to know about preventative modifications when rebuilding the motor? Switches to external oil line sor anythign like that? I know we need to fix the clutch basket, will study up on that when I get there, but that's really the only thing I've caught up on.

Thanks all for any input, this seems to be a great site with a TON of info!

I recommend you keep your stock carbs since there is no cheap upgrade path. VM29's are nice but very expensive.

Regarding the engine rebuild, main thing is to use OE gaskets. Most of the aftermarket gaskets are questionable...or downright junk.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Actually, there IS a cheap upgade path! Get the bigger intake manifolds for the later size carbs (I will find you a Sudco part #) & put a set of oil cooled GSXR or Katana 34 or 36mm CV carbs on it! You already said you will do some head work so these carbs would be an EXCELLENT choice! With a little jetting work, the throttle response will be awesome as will the midrange & top end power. These would be VERY streetable carbs on an engine like that. Pus 1000 on using stock, SUZUKI gaskets!!! Ray.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. hillbillyhell,

I'm more of a general routine maintenance guy, but let me share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys!

Ray, are these the correct CVs I should be looking for if I decide to switch?

Comment

Working...
          X