loss of power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

loss of power

ok this project started to be an ignition problem now i find myself landing here.

less than a year ago i was doing 80+ on the highway. fried a relay, igniter and what have you. replaced all those and my r/r.

starts and idles great but dosent do much more than 10mph. tappets are good as well as the float height, and air filter element.. appears to be getting enough fuel. compression is good. i must be missing something! im thinking an air leak somewhere. it reminds me of when i was first on here and tried to run it without an air box. What do you guys and gals think?

Correct ignitor installed??
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

you would be correct sir.. part # all match

Comment

Ahemm... Im a little out of practice here..been a while..but here goes...

Have you checked your timing? 10mph doesnt really mean much to me, what RPMs does it start crapping out at?? Your "new" ignitor actually NEW and tested? is your advance mechanizm sticking?? Tested the coils? Plug wires? Check the plugs??

Comment

in neutral i can rev it to red line. under load meaning in gear it bog's down. accel coils and wires check out, plugs good. the igniter is new/used worked fine for a 200+ mile trip. the last leg of the trip when it died originally found the r/r wasen't hooked up properly had fried the relay mod, blown several fuses and bulbs.

NEW r/r checked over all connections.

i have another airbox that im gonna try worst case i get no further
          Last edited by Guest; 02-26-2011, 05:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid
            Ahemm... Im a little out of practice here..been a while..but here goes...
            Hi Josh,

Good to see you out and about.

All the best to you and Rose.

Ok, carry on.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

sorry i should never assume plugs were a little fouled swapped them out took it for a 10 mile + ride.

ran ok.... not great. Went down a bumpy road and it bogged down a bit. after that it was pretty smooth all the way to 60mph with me and my old lady.

on the last few miles i wanted to try and knock her head back. was at 35 tried to gun it and it started to bog and sputter with heavy throttle. let it out some and it back to good. idled well at red lights. minimal popping.

i dident push it too hard no more than 6000rpm

when we got back i gave it a look over and found the headlamp fuse a little discolored and a small blob as if it were going to pop with another 20 miles

Comment

Originally posted by refeicul View Post
                in neutral i can rev it to red line. under load meaning in gear it bog's down. accel coils and wires check out, plugs good. the igniter is new/used worked fine for a 200+ mile trip. the last leg of the trip when it died originally found the r/r wasen't hooked up properly had fried the relay mod, blown several fuses and bulbs.

NEW r/r checked over all connections.

i have another airbox that im gonna try worst case i get no further
                You can blow a new ignitor just as fast as an old one with an overcharging R/R.

If that ignitor was on the bike before you did all that electical damage I would not trust it unless the bike runs very well which it is NOT

Comment

its a compleatly new r/r

Originally posted by refeicul View Post
                  sorry i should never assume plugs were a little fouled swapped them out took it for a 10 mile + ride.

ran ok.... not great. Went down a bumpy road and it bogged down a bit. after that it was pretty smooth all the way to 60mph with me and my old lady.

on the last few miles i wanted to try and knock her head back. was at 35 tried to gun it and it started to bog and sputter with heavy throttle. let it out some and it back to good. idled well at red lights. minimal popping.

i dident push it too hard no more than 6000rpm

when we got back i gave it a look over and found the headlamp fuse a little discolored and a small blob as if it were going to pop with another 20 miles

Comment

Working...
                  X