Custom Airbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom Airbox

I was wondering if any of you had built a custom airbox for your bike. I saw a couple references to custom airboxes when i searched, but saw no pics or anything super conclusive. The thing is, i cant stand the lack of room due to the airbox on my gs650. Its such a pain when i want to get the carbs off or just work on it in general. I kind of dont want to go through pods/rejetting and all that right now since the bike runs well. I had a couple ideas myself, but would rather see if its even worth it before i try to fab up something.

Originally posted by Pureformance View Post
    I was wondering if any of you had built a custom airbox for your bike. I saw a couple references to custom airboxes when i searched, but saw no pics or anything super conclusive. The thing is, i cant stand the lack of room due to the airbox on my gs650. Its such a pain when i want to get the carbs off or just work on it in general. I kind of dont want to go through pods/rejetting and all that right now since the bike runs well. I had a couple ideas myself, but would rather see if its even worth it before i try to fab up something.
    Not sure if it will fit but if you had access to 1 from a 850G or an early 750 they go off and on pretty easily
    1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
    80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
    1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
    83 gs750ed- first new purchase
    85 EX500- vintage track weapon
    1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
    “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
    If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

ok cool, ill look into that option as well.

Comment

Without replacing the stock airbox with on of equal volume, Im not sure that you wont have to do some sort of tuning and/or rejetting. If you have relocated the electronics, you can do all sorts of things. I myself plan to build a copper airbox/manifold with filters on the ends where your side panels normally are. Copper for the thermal dispersion effects (least thats the idea) Silicone boots are flexible enough to make removal easier and easy to find the silicone tube online. And you get it in colors.

Comment

The thing is, i cant stand the lack of room due to the airbox on my gs650. Its such a pain when i want to get the carbs off or just work on it in general.
          My question to you is: why do you "need" to remove your carbs so often? I can only think of just a few reasons why you would need to remove your carbs:
          1. When you get your 'new' bike, to thoroughly clean (dip) them and to replace the o-rings.
          2. To access the cam chain tensioner. (Should have done that when the carbs were off for cleaning.)
          3. To remove the head for major refurbishment or gasket replacement. (Should only have to do this ONCE.)

So, why are they coming out so often?

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
          Not sure if it will fit but if you had access to 1 from a 850G or an early 750 they go off and on pretty easily
          The airbox on the 850 goes in and out so well because it's in a MUCH larger frame and the 850 is the smallest engine that goes into that frame.

Not sure how much the 650 and 750 frames resemble each other. They are probably similar in size, but very different due to the shaft drive on the 650, so the 750 airbox won't be any advantage.

You would also have difficulties aligning the intake tubes between the airbox and the carbs. Carbs 2&3 are spaced farther apart on the 850 than they are on the 650. Stock boots would not work.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Hammered View Post
            Without replacing the stock airbox with on of equal volume, Im not sure that you wont have to do some sort of tuning and/or rejetting. If you have relocated the electronics, you can do all sorts of things. I myself plan to build a copper airbox/manifold with filters on the ends where your side panels normally are. Copper for the thermal dispersion effects (least thats the idea) Silicone boots are flexible enough to make removal easier and easy to find the silicone tube online. And you get it in colors.
            That sounds like it could turn out being pretty neat man. When you mention the volume of the airbox, do you mean the size of the box itself or the volume of air passing through? I was thinking the amount of air coming in would be my main concern, but im not exactly an expert. : )

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            My question to you is: why do you "need" to remove your carbs so often? I can only think of just a few reasons why you would need to remove your carbs:
            1. When you get your 'new' bike, to thoroughly clean (dip) them and to replace the o-rings.
            2. To access the cam chain tensioner. (Should have done that when the carbs were off for cleaning.)
            3. To remove the head for major refurbishment or gasket replacement. (Should only have to do this ONCE.)

So, why are they coming out so often?

Well you're right i don't need to remove the carbs per say since i have dipped and replaced the o-rings. It would just make other tasks easier. Like i had to replace my throttle cable, took like 30 minutes to get the cable threaded in correctly to the carb because removing the stupid airboxes would've taken that much more time. Also i think they look like crap. Especially the shape that mine are in from the po. I had to attach the filter side lid on with duct tape just to make it functional, and the carb side has been bent slightly. So it came complete with a roll of electrical tape wedged in to keep it snug against the carbs. The thought of having something nicer in appearance and more user friendly just appeals to me.

Comment

I base a lot of my opinions on personal observations and experiences. "User-friendly" has never crossed my mind when thinking about airboxes because most of mine have very-well-fitting stock airboxes that, once the carbs are cleaned and done, have never needed attention, except for the annual filter check.

Replacing a throttle cable is much easier if you hold the trottle open, which moves the end of the cable into view. It is then a simple 5-minute procedure. With the tank off for easy access, twist the throttle grip, hold the linkage on carb 1 or 2 with one hand, use a pair of needle-nose pliers to manipulate the end of the cable at the pulley on #3. Counting the time it takes to remove and re-install the tank, as well as opening the right handgrip housing to change the upper end of the cable, 15-20 minutes for the entire job.
              And switching to pod filters won't change that.

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                I base a lot of my opinions on personal observations and experiences. "User-friendly" has never crossed my mind when thinking about airboxes because most of mine have very-well-fitting stock airboxes that, once the carbs are cleaned and done, have never needed attention, except for the annual filter check.

Replacing a throttle cable is much easier if you hold the trottle open, which moves the end of the cable into view. It is then a simple 5-minute procedure. With the tank off for easy access, twist the throttle grip, hold the linkage on carb 1 or 2 with one hand, use a pair of needle-nose pliers to manipulate the end of the cable at the pulley on #3. Counting the time it takes to remove and re-install the tank, as well as opening the right handgrip housing to change the upper end of the cable, 15-20 minutes for the entire job.
                And switching to pod filters won't change that.

Thats actually how i got mine in too. I would rather have been able to remove a airbox and pull the carbs back and have it done in 2 minutes though. Which is one reason wondered if anyone had built a custom one that allowed more room/better looks.

Comment

Thats actually how i got mine in too. I would rather have been able to remove a airbox and pull the carbs back and have it done in 2 minutes though. Which is one reason wondered if anyone had built a custom one that allowed more room/better looks.
                  Usually, you have to remove the carbs to be able to remove the airbox, but there are exceptions.

The only 650 in my stable (not mentioned in my sig) has pods, so I don't know if it falls into that category.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride

Comment

I was thinking about the overall volume of the air the box can hold but I suppose the amount of CFMs it will allow to pass through is just as, if not more important. Start thinking along the lines of a straight shoot style airbox have the highest flowing filter that will fit. Aftre going through the pain of taking them off the 750, Im hust going the route of pods if the custom box Im thinking about doesnt work.

Comment

Gotcha! I got some supplies to build a box today so ill let you know how it works out or fails

Comment

The amount of space in the 650 frame is much less than the 750 or 850. It's more like a 550 frame with a bigger engine jammed into it. The airboxes on both the 650 and 550 suck for removal.
                        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

A stage 3 jet kit with pods, & a 4 into 1 pipe will get you the most power & make the bike the easiest to work on. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                            The amount of space in the 650 frame is much less than the 750 or 850. It's more like a 550 frame with a bigger engine jammed into it. The airboxes on both the 650 and 550 suck for removal.
                            for reals! I hope I can pull this off and never deal with the headache again
                            Last edited by Guest; 03-05-2011, 11:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                              A stage 3 jet kit with pods, & a 4 into 1 pipe will get you the most power & make the bike the easiest to work on. Ray.
                              Ya I just didn't want to go through my carbs again and spend the money currently. if my idea works ill have 10 bucks invested so no biggie. I would eventually like to go that route though

Comment

Working...
                              X