Oil Cooler Addition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Cooler Addition

Some photos of an 1150 oil cooler on my 1100ES.

1100 frame showing the horn mounting holes, & the small strap welded to the cross brace.
    This is to stop the horn brackets from twisting when they are bolted on. BUT, this is where you need to mount the cooler, so the horns need to be relocated somewhere. Plus, these tapped holes will not line up with the bracket from an 1150, so you will need to modify the bracket, and space it out slightly. Or make one from scratch, like I did. If I had a stock 1150 bracket, I think it would have been much easier.

The cooler lines aren't the ideal length, but they do clear everything, & are not being strained in any way. I may make a bracket to support the lines at the cross brace on the frame. But one thing at a time.

This is the best angle I could get on the bracket for a photo right now. But I'll unbolt the cooler tomorrow after work so I can get some better pictures.

Yes, that is an 1150 filter cover with the bypass.
    The Three Horsemen
    '85 GS1150ES (Current Income Eater)
    '83 GS1100ES
    ‘77 XLCR

"Never ride faster than you can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes."
    Porkchop Express

Unbolted the oil cooler to take some unobstructed photos of the bracket. I machined a shallow pocket on the backside to clear the strap welded to the frame. It is pretty thin in that area.
    Also, if you notice, the extra holes next to the bolts that mount the bracket to the frame. I had originally drilled the holes in the same locations as an 1150 stock bracket. But as you can see, the holes in the frame have a wider spacing.
    I also omitted the third mounting hole. The 1150 has a tab welded to the frame to utilize a third bolt for the bracket, that the 1100 doesn't have.

I bent this up out of .125 aluminum. Added the round threaded bosses where the cooler bolts to the bracket. Plus some small triangular gussets.
    The Three Horsemen
    '85 GS1150ES (Current Income Eater)
    '83 GS1100ES
    ‘77 XLCR

"Never ride faster than you can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes."
    Porkchop Express

Comment

Originally posted by Greg B View Post
      Unbolted the oil cooler to take some unobstructed photos of the bracket. I machined a shallow pocket on the backside to clear the strap welded to the frame. It is pretty thin in that area.
      Also, if you notice, the extra holes next to the bolts that mount the bracket to the frame. I had originally drilled the holes in the same locations as an 1150 stock bracket. But as you can see, the holes in the frame have a wider spacing.
      I also omitted the third mounting hole. The 1150 has a tab welded to the frame to utilize a third bolt for the bracket, that the 1100 doesn't have.

I bent this up out of .125 aluminum. Added the round threaded bosses where the cooler bolts to the bracket. Plus some small triangular gussets.
      More nice work Greg, I which I had your skill set and your workspace.

Comment

Working...
      X