degreeing cams gs1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

degreeing cams gs1000

Ok need a quick tutorial or something. It's been awhile since I did this last. Any help or direction will be greatly apprectiated.

Install degree wheel, find true tdc. Zero the wheel with the pointer, valve opening .050, read wheel. Valve .050 from closed, read wheel. Add the 2, add 180, divide by 2 & subtract the smaller #. That gives you lobe center #. Ray.

Comment

Thanks Ray.

Comment

http://webcamshafts.com/ go to degreeing in you cam on the left side of the page.

Comment

On the same topic, where do you find the factory cam specs?

At intake centerline what should the crank angle be.

At exhaust centerline what should the crank angle be.

Thanks.
          Last edited by Mekanix; 03-24-2011, 01:03 AM.
          Stephen.
          1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
          1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
          Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
          GS twin wiki

Comment

Mfg normally never publish that information in the service manual.
            Can work backwards with the information provided to dtermine C/L angle
            1979 GS1000E (44 Yrs), 1981 GPz550
            Departed: 1970 Yamaha R5A, 1971 R5B, 1975 Honda XL250, 1983 Suzuki PE175, 1983 CB1100F, 1983 BMW R100RS, 1992 ST1100

Comment

Ok, I'll have to get all the measurements I can before determining within reason what they were supposed to be.

Thanks
              Stephen.
              1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
              1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
              Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
              GS twin wiki

Comment

Cams Are degreed and maybe will be running tomorrow. It was an experiance trying to figure somethings out. I do have a question about the cam card that came with my Web cam. Is the opening and closing just for reference, and the lobe center (105 for my cam)is what you should be concerened with? The card said 17.5 for open and 47.5 for close and just the opposite for exhaust. But I ended up at 14.5 and 44.5 open and 44.5 and 14.5 close. Lobe centers at 105 just like the cam card.

Comment

You have learned well grasshopper. When you can snatch the valve spring from my hand......
                  You have them set at 105 according to your numbers. Now ride it like you stole it.

Comment

All buttoned up and fired up. Took a little bit because of small stupid things I forgot. But OOOOOOOOOOOOO MYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This thing screams. Will ride it for a little and then do a thorough tune up and carb sync. will post a pic of the new paint in another thread. Did I say OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY GOD?

Comment

Working...
                    X