Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

brake up grade

Hi Guy's n Gal's
    I'm wanting to know if there is a brake up grade for a 78 Gs1000 that you know of.
    My brakes are leaking every where they shouldn't and parts for the gs are getting harder to find.
    So thought someone may have found a bolt on up grade of a later model bike of some sort.

If not help needed for kits for the lot.
    am planing a five day 5000k trip next year and have three GS1000's to get ready.

Welcome Cougar. I think there's a few folks in your area that can give you ideas for parts houses but do a search on here for the brake pot upgrade by Salty_Monk.

Have you already taken them apart though to clean them? The seals and new pistons can still be bought from places like Z1 so might want to give them a call.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

There's lots you can do to improve the brakes on a 78.
      The cheapest and easiest... Get some rotors and calipers(rebuild em) from a later model equipped with drilled rotors and square pad calipers. Most anything from an 80 up model duel setup.
      Rebuild your master cylinder and calipers, get some stainless lines and you'll be set.

Or you can just rebuild the brakes you have now. Personally, this is what I would do.

All the parts to rebuild masters and calipers can be had at most any net vendor.
      Mixed opinions on using OEM brake parts. I dont see a problem using aftermarket MC kits with OEM caliper kits.
      If you haven't already you should be getting your welcome from BassCliff with a huge list of vendors.
      Welcome to the forums!
      sigpic

82 GS850
      78 GS1000
      04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
      .................________-|___\____
      ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

thanks octain for your thoughts
        using normal outlets here I've found crasy
        I priced a top end gaskit set and a set of rings just for the parts not including frieght was 2250 nz dollars.
        the bikes have been in the shed for 10 years sitting as work stopped me working on them and now i'm off work (disability) I can get in the shed but am limited to what i can do and was looking for the easiest way to takel the brakes both masters are leaking and rear caliper is locked up (bent the old pads trying to move piston back.
        if need be i will get them all rebuilt tho prefer to do it myself (re kit) but belive that they are pass that.
        BassCliff hasn't offered a list of vendors would you be able to ask him to please as I'm not sure how to get around on here that well yet

Comment

Actually Cougar there is a page on his site:

Course you will get his official welcome when he shows up again later today.
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
          X