Query on Cam chain Tension adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Query on Cam chain Tension adjustment

My '82 GS850GLZ has a bit of cam chain noise. Is this normal, or do I need to adjust the cam chain tension?

If so, how to I go about it, it seem the Manual doesn't actually tell you how to do it.

It is automatic,there is a tutorial on Bike/Basscliff's site on rebuilding and reseting them here http://www.bwringer.com/gs .

Comment

If it's making noise and not leaking oil, you can probably just tighten up the spring and not rebuild it (though rebuilding it is cheap and doesn't take very long).

Comment

Thanks guys, I don't want to rebuild yet cuz it's not leaking. Just wondered if someone knew how to adjust it a bit, Automatic is not always that.

Comment

If it works it works, leave it alone. if it's not working take it apart and find out why.
          It is a very simple spring loaded mechanism.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I don't know if it is working well. The bike has a bit of chain rattle that is kinda loud, just want to quite it up a bit, you know what I mean? I know it is the chain rattling in it's path around the engine, if I can tighten that up a bit it might remove that noise and get the bike running a bit better.

Comment

Okay, I just looked at the Cam Chain fiche, I now know how the Cam Chain tensioner Is set up. I hope I can still adjust the chain noise out of the bike, cuz 304 dollars is a bit pricey for fixing a bit of noise.

Comment

304 bucks! It's only about $10 for the parts to rebuilt the cam chain tensioner. Did you read the cam chain rebuild article from Mr. Bwringer? There are a few parts which are not individually listed on the cam chain fiche but are available: a couple of o-rings and a seal. The gasket should be shown on your bike's fiche, and that varies between models.

The spring under the tensioner knob is trying to turn the knob clockwise, but may get a little tired after a quater century or so. Here's what you do:

1. On the LEFT side of the bike, back off the nut on the locking screw (just a turn or two - not all the way).
                2. Tighten the lock screw. This will keep the tensioner pushrod locked.
                3. On the RIGHT side of the bike loosen and remove the nut holding on the tensioner handle.
                4. With the nut off, the tensioner knob can pull right off. It can only go on in 180 degree increments. Also, it will be under tension. Hold it firmly and don't let it turn clockwise. Pull the knob off just enough that it is off the shaft and turn COUNTER-clockwise and add another turn, then put it back on the shaft.
                5. Apply some locktite blue to the nut and tighten it down.
                6. Back on the left hand side, back off the lock screw 1/2 turn and snug down the lock nut.

Comment

Originally posted by castlekin View Post
                  I don't know if it is working well. The bike has a bit of chain rattle that is kinda loud, just want to quite it up a bit, you know what I mean? I know it is the chain rattling in it's path around the engine, if I can tighten that up a bit it might remove that noise and get the bike running a bit better.
                  How old is the motor?? How many Km (or miles) on it??

It is also likely that your cam chain is in need of replacement and the tensioner could be at its outer limit which will also lead to other issues such as rapid wearing of the chain guides...

When I got my bike I soon stripped the motor down because of the chain noise in the top end.

Well, the chain was stretched about 1 inch when compared to the new chain, yes it was stretch, not a different chain size... You could see where some links had fine cracks in them so it wouldnt have lasted too much longer!

I rebuilt the tensioner (as per Basscliff's instruction sheet), the new chain, replaced the chain guides, the idler sproket assembly (on top) and assembled, then re-shimmed the valves. It was so silent afterward No wonder the previous owner sold the bike!!!!
                  Regards,
                  Andy
                  Queensland Australia

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o...h_PIC00011.jpg
                  GS750B (1977)
                  Wiseco 850 kit, K&N pods, 4-1 transac, Custom 2 pak paint, IKON shocks, Custom L.E.D light boards (turn + stop/tail + dash)

Comment

Originally posted by castlekin View Post
                    Okay, I just looked at the Cam Chain fiche, I now know how the Cam Chain tensioner Is set up. I hope I can still adjust the chain noise out of the bike, cuz 304 dollars is a bit pricey for fixing a bit of noise.
                    Ooh and $304??? WTF???? Why wouldnt you just overhaul your existing one for about $6 and 3/4 hour labour?? If money is no option then why not have someone else fit it for you?? I recently cleaned the tensioner on my friends '82 GS850 after he rode 200km to visit me. He told me that he had placed an order for a new tensioner ($400+ In Aussie $$) and they couldnt get it.

When I eventually recovered from the shock I handed him my phone and told him to ring those highway robbers and tell em to cancel the order, and fixed it for him (also checked his valves and reshimmed 3 of) and the next afternoon he rode the bike home, rang me and said that it was soooo nice and the noise was gone now!!

Just rebuild your current tensioner, the liklihood of it being damaged beyond repair is about 1000000 to 1.
                    Regards,
                    Andy
                    Queensland Australia

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o...h_PIC00011.jpg
                    GS750B (1977)
                    Wiseco 850 kit, K&N pods, 4-1 transac, Custom 2 pak paint, IKON shocks, Custom L.E.D light boards (turn + stop/tail + dash)

Comment

Originally posted by GS750 View Post
                      Ooh and $304??? WTF???? Why wouldnt you just overhaul your existing one for about $6 and 3/4 hour labour?? If money is no option then why not have someone else fit it for you?? I recently cleaned the tensioner on my friends '82 GS850 after he rode 200km to visit me. He told me that he had placed an order for a new tensioner ($400+ In Aussie $$) and they couldnt get it.
                      Well, there is a difference between the Tensioner and the tensioner adjuster. the Adjuster is on the outside and is a pushrod and spring system. The tensioner itself is in the motor.

Check it out on this page.http://www.partshark.com/fiche_secti...1982&fveh=2145

Comment

Well now, I did a no-no in some person's books. I took and warmed the bike up to operating heat, then I loosened the cam chain tensioners lock nut with the bike running. Immediately the noise went completely out of my bike and it is running better than ever. Amazing!!!

Comment

Hi,

Have a look:

Reset Cam Chain Tensioner

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Oh, I know. I just decided after reading someone else did it with the engine running and it was okay, so I thought I would grow a set and do just that.

I do not regret doing it. In fact, my pappy has been helping me tinker with the bike since I put it in his shop.

When I turned the lock nut immediately my pappy turns to me and says, " What did you do? it sounds much better both mechanically and the engine is firing cleaner."

Pappy has always had a good ear, no patience, bu a good ear.

Comment

In about half of the GS cam chain tensioners I have encountered in the wild, someone has mistakenly locked down the setscrew. This locks the pushrod into place and effectively disables the automatic adjustment.

The proper procedure is to leave the setscrew half a turn loose, then lock it into place with the locknut so it doesn't tighten or loosen. This allows the pushrod to move and the tensioner to function as designed.
                              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
                              X