GS's with Keihin cr33 Carbs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS's with Keihin cr33 Carbs?

It seems most of the big bore Suzuki projects out here are equipped with Mikuni Smoothbores or Flatslides etc. I am curious anyone out there install & run the Keihin CR Carbs on a big Suzuki GS1000+ on the street. Do they work well and if so are jetting parts still available through Sudco, Schnitz? Is there some reason to avoid them . . .

I have really only seen the Keihin cr33 on the Honda Supersports & FFS race bikes
    1979 GS1000E (44 Yrs), 1981 GPz550
    Departed: 1970 Yamaha R5A, 1971 R5B, 1975 Honda XL250, 1983 Suzuki PE175, 1983 CB1100F, 1983 BMW R100RS, 1992 ST1100

Mindless is running keihins on his project.

I nearly bought a set in japan recently, they were flatslides, but not CR's. Really cheap over there, but would need a rebuild.

Comment

Originally posted by srsupertrap View Post
      I am curious anyone out there install & run the Keihin CR Carbs on a big Suzuki GS1000+ on the street. Do they work well and if so are jetting parts still available through Sudco, Schnitz? Is there some reason to avoid them?
      In my browsing of many topics, and by using the search function, I found this thread by Makenzie71.

You might try contacting him to see how well they are working for him.
      I ride many bikes.
      Some are even Suzukis.

Comment

They were a very good carb in their day - and still are. But there are better available now for street use. Either Mikuni RS or Keihin FRS will be a better street carb and some later CV's will be as good too.
        However Post Classic/Forgotten era/Vintage race classes which mandate period carbs ensure that there's still plenty of people using them and parts are readily available.

Comment

They use the same jets and stuff (for the most part) as the Keihin FCR's so parts are readily available.

Before I got my FCR's I almost bought a set of smoothbore CR's. They are great carbs but some people argued that they were a bit more hard worked than the flatslides. The flatslides have the benefit of roller bearings on the throttles so they both open and close really easily, whereas the CR's round throttles slide metal against metal, giving them a bit more "resistance". But with that said - they would be about as "hard worked" as any older set of stock Mikuni VM's or CV's from the 70's and 80's.

The "rideability" on them shouldn't be that different either. They are mechanical carbs. You open the throttle - they squirt in fuel. The point with these carbs is simplicity and because of that they work phenomenally well.

In the end I opted for the FCR's simply because they fit the look I wanted on the bike better than the CR's and they were supposedly better for street use.

There's a guy on Oldskoolsuzuki.info called SteveA, he runs Keihin CR's on his Katana.
          Last edited by Guest; 03-27-2011, 05:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GregT View Post
            They were a very good carb in their day - and still are. But there are better available now for street use. Either Mikuni RS or Keihin FRS will be a better street carb and some later CV's will be as good too.
            However Post Classic/Forgotten era/Vintage race classes which mandate period carbs ensure that there's still plenty of people using them and parts are readily available.
            Originally posted by Mindless
            They use the same jets and stuff (for the most part) as the Keihin FCR's so parts are readily available.

Before I got my FCR's I almost bought a set of smoothbore CR's. They are great carbs but some people argued that they were a bit more hard worked than the flatslides. The flatslides have the benefit of roller bearings on the throttles so they both open and close really easily, whereas the CR's round throttles slide metal against metal, giving them a bit more "resistance". But with that said - they would be about as "hard worked" as any older set of stock Mikuni VM's or CV's from the 70's and 80's.

The "rideability" on them shouldn't be that different either. They are mechanical carbs. You open the throttle - they squirt in fuel. The point with these carbs is simplicity and because of that they work phenomenally well.

In the end I opted for the FCR's simply because they fit the look I wanted on the bike better than the CR's and they were supposedly better for street use.
            Thanks guys I appreciate your input on the Keihin's, I learned something . . . I guess that why I keep coming back here Here is what prompted the question

1979 GS1000E (44 Yrs), 1981 GPz550
            Departed: 1970 Yamaha R5A, 1971 R5B, 1975 Honda XL250, 1983 Suzuki PE175, 1983 CB1100F, 1983 BMW R100RS, 1992 ST1100

Comment

I had a set ready to bolt onto mine but openings on both sides are bigger that the Mikunis that i swaped the for. Never seen keihns with airboxes on a bike but seen the same with mikunis.

Comment

Working...
              X