GS 550M Chopper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 550M Chopper?

I'm bored in the snow heaps here, and have begun dreaming of summertime. A long trip perhaps? My Katana should be the perfect machine for the job, the 1000 isnt any more comfortable to drive(it has a low handlebar for now) and it sips gas. But the ride position is abit stressy, its perfect for blowing an afternoon trip out to the seaside to watch the gulls but on longer trips my throttle hand tends to fall asleep, and my back to ache. So I've been thinking that a 550L should be the right machine for a trip to Italy or London to see my cousin. Laid back sitting position, doesnt look too stupid with a windscreen and has an economical engine with just enough oomph to do the job.(I havent all forgot about my turbo plans for mine btw...)But I just cant afford another bike at the moment, and I'm not selling my Kat. I'd rather just put on some higher handlebars to get a more upright position, a windscreen, highway pegs and then ride around continental Europe looking ridicolous. See if I care. But anyway it got me thinking: What if I just took off the tank and seat and other Katana specific parts and put on some L parts instead? So my question is: Are the frames on these two models significantly different or is it a bolt on swap? Any other significant differences such as longer forks etc? I also have the GSX tank thats on my 1000 now(see my pictures), and the 1000 taillamp housing might also be used as I have an extra one. But then I'l need another seat... Tinker tinker. But sure as hell is I want tall handlebars, low seat and highway pegs. I have a Raask set for my 1000 that might be used for making forward mounted controls and pegs. Building tips anyone? Remember I dont want to alter the frame so I can just bolt the Kat parts back on.

Originally posted by arve View Post
    I'm bored in the snow heaps here, and have begun dreaming of summertime. A long trip perhaps? My Katana should be the perfect machine for the job, the 1000 isnt any more comfortable to drive(it has a low handlebar for now) and it sips gas. But the ride position is abit stressy, its perfect for blowing an afternoon trip out to the seaside to watch the gulls but on longer trips my throttle hand tends to fall asleep, and my back to ache. So I've been thinking that a 550L should be the right machine for a trip to Italy or London to see my cousin. Laid back sitting position, doesnt look too stupid with a windscreen and has an economical engine with just enough oomph to do the job.(I havent all forgot about my turbo plans for mine btw...)But I just cant afford another bike at the moment, and I'm not selling my Kat. I'd rather just put on some higher handlebars to get a more upright position, a windscreen, highway pegs and then ride around continental Europe looking ridicolous. See if I care. But anyway it got me thinking: What if I just took off the tank and seat and other Katana specific parts and put on some L parts instead? So my question is: Are the frames on these two models significantly different or is it a bolt on swap? Any other significant differences such as longer forks etc? I also have the GSX tank thats on my 1000 now(see my pictures), and the 1000 taillamp housing might also be used as I have an extra one. But then I'l need another seat... Tinker tinker. But sure as hell is I want tall handlebars, low seat and highway pegs. I have a Raask set for my 1000 that might be used for making forward mounted controls and pegs. Building tips anyone? Remember I dont want to alter the frame so I can just bolt the Kat parts back on.
    L + distance = pain.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      L + distance = pain.
      I dont know, it looked more comfortable I thought.. But the engine is perfect though. What to do? M + distance = sleeping right hand.

Comment

Please don't ruin a katana to try and make a chopper out of it. If any thing modify the 1000 with stock G bars and a plexi windscreen. They are extremely comfortable, easy so swap and will be much easier to do.
        And you won't end up with a frankenbike.

Just my thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Tom View Post
          Please don't ruin a katana to try and make a chopper out of it. If any thing modify the 1000 with stock G bars and a plexi windscreen. They are extremely comfortable, easy so swap and will be much easier to do.
          And you won't end up with a frankenbike.

Just my thoughts.
          I'm not gonna ruin it, on the contrary I'll save the Kat parts from use by keeping them safe in foam chip boxes. As I said, bolt on swaps only. If anything is to be altered its the parts that are swapped, not the frame or anything else. The 1000 is comfortable enough but as I said it sips gas. The difference in economy is not unsignificant when it costs close to $8.85 per gallon in some locations.

Comment

Gotcha. What about the katana that makes your wrist and back hurt? I would think taller bars would help that. You can get clip on's with a tall rise build in I believe. I'm not sure why you would want to swap gas tanks and seats to make it look like an L though.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Tom View Post
              Gotcha. What about the katana that makes your wrist and back hurt? I would think taller bars would help that. You can get clip on's with a tall rise build in I believe. I'm not sure why you would want to swap gas tanks and seats to make it look like an L though.
              Well, I'd like taller bars as you said and I think also a windscreen and some highway pegs would be nice for touring. I almost said I dont really care how it looks but thinking again thats exactly what I do... I just thought the L tank would look better with the laidback style, but I dont care if it looks like an L or not. A bit of the idea is also to save the Kat tank and side covers from accidents along the way.(the latter also has a tendency to suck themselves off if you drive too fast. New rubbers might help but anyway...) As I said I have this GSX tank with nice gold paint that might also fit, maybe it could be made into a bobber. I'm just bored here, so if anyone else feels the same way I am looking for suggestions about how and how to.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                L + distance = pain.
                Unless you adapt the bike to your preferred riding posture.

Mrs. Steve has put in more than one 500+ mile day on her L.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  Unless you adapt the bike to your preferred riding posture.

Mrs. Steve has put in more than one 500+ mile day on her L.

Thats cause the Steves are hardcore bikers.

Comment

Working...
                  X