what finish on head and barrel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Vic, still here.

Air pressure is the best bet to clean those passages. Blow through every one of them and make sure everything is gone.

If you think you're done and it's all gone, do it again

Looks like that site for your photos doesn't let you share them on the web at large, so you might need to sign up with Photobucket or something similar (free).

1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Still here!
      I would use carb cleaner or brake cleaner instead of WD-40. You know the ones, aerosol can that come with the little red tube. Lots of pressure and dry's instead of leaving a wetted surface for the grit to stick to followed by what pete said... lots of compressed air is good.
      Last edited by Guest; 08-16-2011, 08:38 PM.

Comment

*stands up from behind the chair*

I am here too, have been waiting to see how you went

What I ALWAYS do:

Eye protection (goggles/glasses AND a face shield);
        Compressed air with loads of pressure ie: 100PSI or more......

I soak them overnight in a thinners bath to dissolve any oil, soap or wax substances, then I place a nice clean white rag and use bulk liquid WD-40, squirt all the passages, blow with air, again with the WD-40, I do this until there is no signs of any grit coming out, then I do it again just for safe measure

I have never ever had a problem with damage after using this method + would much rather waste a few bucks on rag and WD-40 than damaging engine components
        Regards,
        Andy
        Queensland Australia

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o...h_PIC00011.jpg
        GS750B (1977)
        Wiseco 850 kit, K&N pods, 4-1 transac, Custom 2 pak paint, IKON shocks, Custom L.E.D light boards (turn + stop/tail + dash)

Comment

gr8 to here you are still there

well after taking to work and using air line a lot happier and yes i did it twice, glass’s a good idea to surprising the power of the dust,

like the idea of carb cleaner i have a big can of that, will have a go with that to now, hopping nothing comes out this time

last night i had noticed with the coating on the out side studs (2 each side ) was not even ,these are the ones that are used as oil ways ,so thought there's no way that would seal with the copper washer so was scrapping the coating of that

had a thought do you think its a good idea to heat up the copper washers to soften them up just before reinstalling, then i noticed 4 washers of a similar size in gasket set but they have a rubber insertin them, if that’s what they are ,do you use them or still use old copper ones?

last thing got to get to work its 6.30am here

next job in check all threads couldn't even get bloody spark plugs in
          got one in gently using wd40 and some oil going in and out many times ,think its a combination off sh*t still in threads and over painting

idea's to help please

aarrhhgg no one has a tap for spark plug do they

ok for all others (i hope 0
          sh*t its 6.38 got to go

vic

Comment

hi looks like pics might work now even though its a bit late ,,,today engine back in frAME HEAD AND CAM SHAFTS IN,BUT I DID HAVE A PROBLEM ,,,I GET SOME PICS 1ST,, I GUESS THATS DOWN TO WISDOM,,LACKING THAT DAY ;(

Comment

Can you ball up the end of a piece of wire so it doesn't scratch anything and push it through from one hole to the other? That way you could grab each end and pull it back and forth sorta like flossing...

Safest would be compressed air down one hole so it forces it out the other, but if it's solid matter encrusted in there I would think the flossing technique may work...
              1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Spray some brake cleaner down those oil holes in your first picture and follow up with compressed air until they are clean.
                Be certain to keep your eyes out of the way of the brake cleaner coming out.

Daniel

Comment

yes thats just about what i have done air line and brake cleaning fluid,

checked valve clearence today only neede to change 1 shim

filter in oil in,shoud turn over in the next couple of days i hope

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                    Can you ball up the end of a piece of wire so it doesn't scratch anything and push it through from one hole to the other? That way you could grab each end and pull it back and forth sorta like flossing...

Safest would be compressed air down one hole so it forces it out the other, but if it's solid matter encrusted in there I would think the flossing technique may work...
                    What about a long plastic cable tie and then carby cleaner & compressed air??
                    Regards,
                    Andy
                    Queensland Australia

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o...h_PIC00011.jpg
                    GS750B (1977)
                    Wiseco 850 kit, K&N pods, 4-1 transac, Custom 2 pak paint, IKON shocks, Custom L.E.D light boards (turn + stop/tail + dash)

Comment

HI
                      PLEASE CAN YOU HELP ANY ONE

I have started a different ''thread start up after new piston rings''

Please have alook and see if you can help to

its all gone **** up

vic

Comment

Working...
                      X