FOUND mirrors that work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FOUND mirrors that work?

On my 83 GS750ED the mirrors are on 4 1/2 " stems, they may look good, but I can't see anything behind me. I've adjusted them every way possible. Any recommendations for mirrors that work.

Thanks

83 GS 750ED

Bar end mirrors.............cool Cafe look and you can actually see behind you. Also small convex stick on mirrors give a decent blind spot view. Here is a link to some bar ends at Lockhart-Phillips.

Others will have them as well..............

Joe
    IBA# 24077
    '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
    '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
    '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Explore JC Whitney for premium auto parts & accessories, dive into car culture, & stay updated with the latest automotive events & tech trends

i love these things. they let you see behind you with ease...so much better then a flat square or round mirror. for $12 you can't go wrong...

~Adam

Comment

You have to try a bunch of different mirrors to see which works best with your bike, your height, and your width (shoulders!). I got carried away with the chrome/cruiser thing & spent $100.00 on a pair of Custom Chrome mirrors for my Maruader & guess what? They're crap! can't see a thing. So try 'em before you buy 'em!

Comment

Nice - someone else who feels my pain

By this point, I have an almost intimate knowledge of how my shoulders look in a rear-view mirror on my .

I keep scanning parts catalogs for mirrors for my ED with a longer offset than mine - but haven't found 'em yet.

Bar ends are cool, but not for lane splitting - they'd get expensive to replace after a few mirror taps - I've come close enough with the stockers. I've had limited success with loosening my controls and sliding everything as far towards the end of the bar as possible - this gave me another 1/2" or more play in the mirror position. After adjusting the mirrors for almost an hour, I was able to noticeably improve my rear vision, - but it's still not what I'd call "good".

Let me know if you find something...

-Q!

Comment

I have some bar-ends that I've adjusted so they're directly above the end of the bars. For lane-splitting, they only add about an inch. I'm really spoiled by bar-ends and haven't bothered with anything else for years.

I've also seen some really sweet forged bar-ends that fold in - unfortunately, theyre about $75 apiece.

But I know your issue. Most of us don't leave in a place so congested as CA, so lane-splitting is illegal.
            "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." Bishop Helder Camara

"Beware of the man with only one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

82 GS1100E....black w/WC fairing and plenty o corrosion and low levels of attention

Comment

My Napoleons extend about 1" past the bars. They show a little of my shoulders but I can see things pretty good. I'm about 5' 10", 195.
              They hold their adjustment well. They're black "grained" plastic on "black chrome" stems. The stems go up 1 1/2" and then out about 4". About
              $16/ea. You can see them at my website if you like. Click the WWW below.
              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Comment

Comment

The bugeyes are an interesting idea but I bet they'd drive me nuts. If you have your head turned you may see vehicles coming towards you in the mirror while they are actually on a different road. I have this problem with the rearview mirror in my van. I turn it upwards out of the way and every once in a while I'll see a telephone pole chasing me down from my peripheral vision. I flip it up because I drive truck a lot and they don't have rearviews...

Cheers, Steve

Comment

I did find mirrors that work on the 83 GS750ED. I bought them off eBay as new, I got out today and no more elbow or arm in the mirror. These have nice long stems.

This link is currently on eBay, these look identical to what I bought.

Comment

I have the same mirrors as AOD and don't like the long, geeky kind that stick out half-way to the moon. Still, I mostly got a good view of my sleeves and shoulders so I put on some 2" round convex mirrors from Kragen in the lower outside corners. $4 for a pair and I really like them.

Comment

Get a stainless rod of the appropriate diameter.

Figure out where the mirrors work best for you. Make a template (I used thick coathanger wire) of the bends you need.

bend and cut the stainless rods (Need a heavy pipe bender here. Hardware stores will sometimes make bends for you)

Now take a tap and die and thread the ends to fit the holes on your mirror and bar mount.... Cut a deeper thread on the handlebar end than you think you need, so you can put on a double-nut to lock it down once adjusted right.
                          Now mount it with a couple of stainless nuts on the handlebar end.

Quite easy.

Comment

The thread pitch is 10x1.25 which is a screw ball dimension. You may have trouble finding the correct tap and die if you want to buy an entire set, and they are hard to find seperately.

Steve

Comment

Didn't know that. I had a full set I inherited...

That's what I get for making assumptions. :?

Well, if you can find the die for it, then it's easy.

Comment

Working...
                              X