Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

84 GS 750 EF won't start after minor modifications.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

84 GS 750 EF won't start after minor modifications.

Alright, so my bike was running fine two weeks ago. I've spent the past week making essentially cosmetic changes. I swapped out the tank, removed the gauges, and swapped out all the lights/signals. I put gas in the tank for the first time today, put the key and and turned it. Lights came on (mostly, i have some wired wrong, so I have to play with those). I put it in neutral, choked it back and pressed the ignition button. Starter turns over but engine won't catch. Any ideas what I did to break the bike? I checked that there was fuel flowing through the petock (there is). Help, please!

I don't think you're carbs would get gummed up after sitting for only two weeks but you might want to check there anyways. Or it might be a loose wire somewhere. Since the starter turns, we know that the starter system is working. I would check the ignition system. Does it get spark on all 4 cylinders?

Comment

1st thing to do is pull a outer spark plug (1-4) put the plug back in the cap. Let it sit on the engine and hit the starter button.

got spark?
      SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Simple thing,did you pull the clutch lever in? Friend of mine couldn't start his 84 550 because he forgot.

Comment

Thanks for the quick responses everyone. It looks like the damn bike was just waterlogged. I live in the NW and we've had even more rain than normal lately. Dry day yesterday and the bike started just fine. Of course, now there's something wrong with the clutch. I forgot to mention that I swapped out the clutch cable. Now, I pull in the clutch lever and nothing happens. I cannot change gears. Engine starts and runs fine, but I can't get it in gear. I've cracked the clutch cover off and nothing seems amiss in there but I'm not sure what to look for. I'm skimming the forums now to see if I can find anything helpful.
          Last edited by Guest; 04-18-2011, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Did you adjust that little screw there where the cable connects inside the sprocket cover? I was shown that piece this weekend and I didn't realize about it beforehand.
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Thanks!

That was it, cowboy. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
              X