Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More questions on degreeing and balancing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More questions on degreeing and balancing.

Hi all, here is one for the speed merchants, and others in the know.
    I have been wading through the forums looking for info on degreeing the cams on my trusty 1000G, as you know, it is undergoing 'from the frame up' rebuild and although it is going back to mostly stock trim, I want to incorporate all the good mods and upgrades below the skin to enhance her.
    I have the motor open to fit a new set of rings, I will also tear down the bottom end in due course to check and measure everything down there, although I expect all will be well and I will just button it all back up again, although I will do the clutch mod while I am down there, and probably chuck new bearings onto the gearbox drive and driven shafts as well as the primary drive.

Now, while I have the engine open, I would like to balance whatever I can, as well know know, viabration is a killer to all things mechanical, what can be done? I want tis thing to run as smooth as an electric motor......or close to.
    From what I have managed to find, it seems that balancing is limited to the pistons, as the roller crank can't really be balanced, and the rods can't be removed for end to end balancing, is this correct?
    I say can't, but I mean without splitting the crank and going into stupid costs, which I am not going to do, the bike is a street bike and a shaftie after all, it is not going to be raced, ridden spiritedly on occasion maybe.

When balancing the pistons, I understand that all four get balanced to the weight of the lightest one, where on the piston would one remove material without compromising the strength of the piston?

Now, about this cam degreeing melarchy, I get the whole thing of finding the lobe centers, easy enough, then getting the number one piston to exactly TDC and then adjusting the cams to make sure the lobe centers are spot on as well, to eliminate all variances in manufacturing and otherwise, again, easy enough.
    Now it seems that by adjusting the cams away from lobe center with the piston at TDC there is free power to be found, x degrees for better top end or y degrees for better low and midrange grunt, etc.
    My question is, are these figures the same for all engines? I would assume not.
    That said, where would one find the figures for a particular engine, in my case a stock 1000G motor with stock cams?
    It is all so confusing, I have seen figures off 114, 110, 109, 108 and so on and so on, how does one go about working out what you need for what you want?

No one????????????????

Comment

I read somewhere that you should advance the intake cam 2 degrees for a little better performance but I’ve never tried it. For vibration: I think the GS1100GK had rubber motor mounts and there maybe a chance you could use them. The GS 4 cylinders came well balanced from the factory. A vacuum sync will smooth the bike’s operation as well. What are you looking for, a smoother ride or more performance?

Comment

Hi Graham, many thanks for the input, I am primaraly looking for a little extra grunt, as you say, the big Suzuki mills were pretty smooth straight off the floor.
        It is not that I have had a problem with it in the past, just thought that while I have the motor open, I might as well do what I can, I really would like to balance the pistons and degree the cams, once this motor gets buttoned up, thats it for the next 30 years or 370K.
        That avatar has to go, how is a man supposed to concentrate with that.
        Last edited by Guest; 04-27-2011, 01:56 AM.

Comment

see: DEGREEING IN YOUR CAMSHAFT

LOBE SEPARATION ANGLE
          Above 114 Deg. = Extremely Wide
          114-112 Deg. = Wide
          112-110 Deg. = Moderately Wide
          110-108 Deg. = Moderate
          108-106 Deg. = Moderately Tight
          106-104 Deg. = Tight
          Below 104 Deg. = Extremely Tight
          ADVANCING / RETARDING CAM TIMINGADVANCINGRETARDING
          Begins Intake Event SoonerDelays Intake Event Closes IntakeOpen Intake Valve SoonerKeeps Intake Valve Open LaterBuilds More Low-End TorqueBuilds More High-End PowerDecrease Piston-Intake Valve ClearanceIncrease Piston-Intake Valve ClearanceIncrease Piston-Exhaust Valve ClearanceDecrease Piston-Exhaust Valve Clearance

for 16V engines, 105/107 is about the range for mid range torque(as per Webcams) . 110/110 is a drag bike setup; a bit much for the street.
          Last edited by posplayr; 04-27-2011, 02:05 AM.

Comment

You do not balance the roller cranks... Just make sure it is straight. The pistons should be real close if they are a good Mfg..

Comment

Many thanks Ed, just the link I was looking for, you are indeed a goldmine of information, according to their calculator, the standard setup on my bike is 110 degrees lobe seperation, so according to what you have given me, I would be aiming for about 108 or so for street use, giving more torque in the lower to mid range, correct? (8 valve GS1000G)
              Any idea how much can be gained with a move of 2 degrees?
              How would one go about it, would you adjust each cam by one degree, for a total of two, or does the two degrees come off one cam, in which case, intake or exhaust?
              I figured the crank does not get balanced, but I want to do the pistons, I would imagine they are pretty close (still the Suzuki OEM it came out the factory with), but I would like to get them spot on..........anal, I know.

Comment

AFA the cams, you degree each one separately. Although posplayr gave numbers for a 16 valve engine, someone must have them for an 8 valve engine also.
                You will have to slot the cams, of course.
                If you want to balance the pistons, you could probably do it yourself using an accurate digital scale. Find the lightest one, use the TARE function to zero it out, and then start removing material from the others. IIRC the piston skirt can have some material removed safely, but others here may have more info/experience.

Comment

My humble, public apology Jim, you don't look like an Ed at all.
                  Just me suffering from CRAFT

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                    My humble, public apology Jim, you don't look like an Ed at all.
                    Just me suffering from CRAFT
                    no problem, I'm giving Rapid Ray a call to see if he has an answer. I'm not sure that would be covered in your phone plan.

Comment

Working...
                    X