550 engine in 450l frame?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

550 engine in 450l frame?

Just picked up a 79 550e for a 100 bucks. Nothing really salvageable but I want to rebuild the engine. I have an 81 450L that i want to do some fun project with. So would the 550 engine fit on the 450 frame? I understand that I will have to modify mounting brackets and/or exhaust but is this something worth doing? or will this give me more headaches than its worth?

Thanks for any info.

edit: sorry if I posted this in the wrong section. Wasn't too sure where to ask
    Last edited by Guest; 04-25-2011, 10:14 AM.

I don't know for sure, but I would think the 4-cylinder engine will be considerably wider than the 2-cylinder.

I recommend taking a few simple measurements (a few mounting point distances, exhaust location, and chain/drive location) to see if it is even reasonable.

Comment

Originally posted by herostar View Post
      I recommend taking a few simple measurements (a few mounting point distances, exhaust location, and chain/drive location) to see if it is even reasonable.
      Thanks for the response, but I actually did this after I first posted. And the results are not good there's no way without many mods that I would be able to fit the engine in. Oh well. Just save it in case I come across a 550 in better condition.

Comment

Working...
      X