The infamous "COIL RELAY" MOD question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The infamous "COIL RELAY" MOD question

How many GS owners have tried this mod? And does it actually work? I am thinking about trying it out on my 78 gs750..

Originally posted by sparkey View Post
    How many GS owners have tried this mod? And does it actually work? I am thinking about trying it out on my 78 gs750..

It most assuredly works otherwise it would not be on the BC website.

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
      Yes I have and Yes this.

Nic
      83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

good enough for me. off to autozone in the am for the parts! LOL on the BC website!!!

Comment

What are your volts at the coils? If you're getting 11-12V already you're not going to notice much difference. If you're getting <10, you will.

Comment

Originally posted by mike_of_bbg View Post
            What are your volts at the coils? If you're getting 11-12V already you're not going to notice much difference. If you're getting <10, you will.
            Don't just measure the voltage at the coils.

You need to also measure the battery voltage and compare it to the voltage at the coils. Your battery might be weak and only putting out 11 volts with the key ON and the bike not running. If your coils also show 11 volts at the same time, you will se NO improvement with the 'mod'.

Actually best to measure the voltage at the coils with the engine running, to simulate running conditions. As Mike said, though, if the coils are already within a volt or two of the battery voltage, you won't notice any improvement.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Going through and cleaning all the connectors in your harness is the first step as that should be done whether you do the relay or not. I went from 9.9V to 11.1V at my coils after spending an hour with a little brush and a can of contact cleaner.
              Quite a difference in starting.
              -1980 GS1100 LT
              -1975 Honda cb750K
              -1972 Honda cl175
              - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

Hello gents...still feeling my way around the forum. Question - what's the "BC website" and is there a quick link to the coil relay mod basics?

many thanks

jasper

Comment

Coil Relay Mod

Comment

Jasper, might I suggest starting a thread and introducing yourself to the GSR. What flavor GS do you ride? Where are you located? That sort of thing. Bass Cliff will visit and give you his world famous Mega Welcome.

Comment

combine it with a valve adjustment and you will have a totally new bike...

Comment

What do you know that makes you call it "infamous"?
                        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
                          Originally posted by niclpnut View Post
                          Yes I have and Yes this.

Nic
                          Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                          What do you know that makes you call it "infamous"?

Infamous just sounded better than famous.
                          I did do the mod this morning with a 30 amp lighting relay from Autozone. I was losing about a half volt when running. 13.3 volts at the battery and 12.5 at the coil. Now it reads 13.1 at the coil. Not a big deal but the coil plug was actually heating up while running. So I figured with the amp draw I would be better off doing the mod. On another note, I did have a gas cap that was not venting! I took the gas cap off and there was a big rush of air so I cleaned that out and it now vents. (It looked like it had "Kreem" all caked in the vent hole). NO MORE STALLING!! Between the 2 fixes the stalling prob is solved.

Comment

Sounds like your numbers were real good even before the mod. So you measured with the bike running? I just take the battery voltage with the key off and then turn the key on (engine not running) and measure at the coils.
                            1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                            1983 GS 1100 G
                            2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                            2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                            1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Originally posted by 1948man View Post
                              Sounds like your numbers were real good even before the mod. So you measured with the bike running? I just take the battery voltage with the key off and then turn the key on (engine not running) and measure at the coils.
                              Battery voltage with the engine off was 12 volts and 11.5 at the coils. It did have good voltage. I figured a half volt gained is worth it. Besides I had fun doin it!!

Comment

Working...
                              X