Stuffin a 180 GSXR wheel into a GS swingarm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuffin a 180 GSXR wheel into a GS swingarm

I have had many inquiries as to how to mount a 5.5 inch rim with a 180 tire onto a stock gs1100 swing arm.

Go to the "Major 1100 Kat rebuild" thread for the answers. I have also posted a diagram at:

If you have another bike "and you have room in the swingarm" just subtract mm's from both sides of the outer spacers.

Things to check:
    1. chain clearance at frame
    2. tire clearance at front of swingarm
    3. front sprocket offset availability/feazibility.
    4. chain length.
    5. need to buy 530 pitch chain and sprockets

The conversion here is an 1100 swingarm with the specified distance between forks. 260mm

if you can't find an offset coutershaft sprocket...I couldn't for a reasonable price, then you could make this one out of two sprockets and a little machining:

This cog is 4mm less of an offset then the plan calls for. My rear sprocket has a 2mm recess on the outside so I turned it around. That reduced my offset my 2 mm and a 2mm spacer behind the coutershaft sprocket will even things out. Or you can adjust the rear wheel spacers and offset your wheel by a mm or two.

The stock rear sprocket spacer is 28mm, so, now that it is only 14mm you have to offset the front sprog by 14mm.

If you use a spacer behind the offset sprocket you may want to recess it another mm.

One other thing to consider is...Not all 180's are the same. Some are wider than others so if you call it too close with one another may not fit.

AND. for those considering to mount on smaller bikes make sure there is enough room for tire expansion when it heats up.

I hope this is some help

Cheers,

Katman.
    KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

Nice.

Looks nice. Us shaftie owners can only dream of going with wider tires.

Comment

here is the finished sprocket with a 10mm offset.

KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

Comment

Working...
      X