KYB shocks on the GS1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KYB shocks on the GS1100

Just got my KYB shocks installed and they look and perform fantastic. They are 14.5" eye to eye which is 1.5" longer than stock length. With my 215Lbs on the bike the suspension sags .5" with the spring preload on its 3rd click(of 5), compresion on 2 and rebound @ 3. The ride is compliant yet tight. The handling and ride seem to be on par with modern standards. The steering of course is much quicker with the rear end lifted, but still very stable. My Progressive fork springs feel completely balanced now with the rearend and my previous shocks were Marzocchi Symbols. Tomarrow I will be riding the Angeles Crest so I will give those of you interested a performance report from the twisties. Follow the Link below for shock pictures on the bike. Let me know what you think?

Very nice bike. Very, very nice. What pipe is that (p/n) and fairing?

Comment

Great job allround.

Comment

Swanny, the pipe is a V & H SSR 3 bolt pattern from a 97 GSXR 750 that I bought on e-bay. I am not sure of the V&H part# as it is not on the can. I used my existing stainless SuperTrap headers and made a new mid pipe from 304 Stainless to get the high pipe look I wanted. The muffler has the street baffle that is very sweet sounding but not too loud. As far as the fairing goes it is the Air Tech copy of the 1000S.

Comment

Your "ViperG" is looking better every time I see it ! Great bike !
          Have you given any thought to 2nd Indy ride in the spring?
          Greg

Comment

Thanks Greg! I would love to do the GS ride in the spring, but unless I make a special trip I probably won't make it this next time since I have relocated to So. California. I am now residing where I can take advantage of riding all year long. I have been out here since Aug. and have averaged more than 1000 miles per month on the GS. Although my Kat 1000 is still stored in IN at a friend's. Maybe I could tie the GS meet together with my spring trip to ride it west. HHHMM..... I like that idea!

Comment

Man, I recognized the bike right away, didn't realize you had left our area.
              Don't rub in the riding out there please! Today was first decent day in past few weeks, yep all the way up to 50 and no rain.
              Now you got me southern California dreamin' , didn't last long raining again now!
              (gonna be a long winter)

Comment

Very nice bike.
                Where did you get the KYB shocks
                I was looking for some new shocks for a 81 GS750E.
                Bill

Comment

I am glad you like the G, thanks! I purchased the shocks used from a guy in southern CA parting out a 2002 ZRX1200 Kaw. However, your 750e uses a clevis on the bottom of your oem shocks so these would not be a bolt on and go option for you. You would have to mod your swingarm to use a set like this. I have the same problem with my 82 Katana 1000, same as the 750E. Ohlins makes a great set of shocks but they are big $$$ but worth every penny. This was a budget option for my bike that I came up with after checking what was on the used oem market. These KYB shocks new are as expensive as the Ohlins somewhere in the $600.00 range. I picked mine up slightly used for $215.00. I have seen them usually go on average from $250-$300 used if you can find them. Check e-bay under "zrx shocks". Another option for you would be the Final Edition Katana KYB shocks. They are the same shock that I have but use the clevis. I believe a US suzuki parts importer told me he could get them new for me, but again they are big$$$ new.

Comment

Very nice bike 8) I have been up to the crest, good riding Although I don't know how much of it is open up past the restraunt. I have some old Works shocks to put on my GS850 as soon as I can have them serviced

Comment

Working...
                    X