Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

retrofit kickstarter?

saw this article:

I really wish Suzuki had kept the kickstarter for at least one more year, but of course, my 80 450 doesn't have one. It's probably difficult and/or expensive to do, but is it possible? This article seems to suggest that it is, as the Ascot didn't have one to begin with. This also got me thinking. Would it be possible/practical to replace the case where a kick starter would normally come out with an acrylic case? Just some crazy ideas I had.

I'm not super familiar with the smaller bikes, but likely what it will come down to is whether or not that model EVER had a kicker. And if it did, did the cases change when they removed it. The 79 850 had a kicker. In 80 they did away with it, but the cases more or less stayed the same. It would require a good deal of money, machine work and the parts necessary if it's even possible. The remaining question then becomes, " is it worth it?"

Buy a 77-79 750. Bigger displacment while remaining small and light, and they came with a kicker

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
      I'm not super familiar with the smaller bikes, but likely what it will come down to is whether or not that model EVER had a kicker. And if it did, did the cases change when they removed it. The 79 850 had a kicker. In 80 they did away with it, but the cases more or less stayed the same. It would require a good deal of money, machine work and the parts necessary if it's even possible. The remaining question then becomes, " is it worth it?"

Buy a 77-79 750. Bigger displacment while remaining small and light, and they came with a kicker
      If anything, I'd love to find a GS400, or even better, a 425E, as that was my first bike. I'd also love to get my hands on a GN400.

Comment

Get a 550, the early one. Kick start, six speed, quick and nimble, when you get bored you can jack it up to 699cc.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

The 550s are nice, just a size up from the 450. The 750 is kinda big in comparison.
          "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Originally posted by Allie View Post
            The 550s are nice, just a size up from the 450. The 750 is kinda big in comparison.
            Bah. The 750 isn't much heavier than the 550. Rose can flat foot a 750E. Couldn't flat foot the L. Think it was the seat. Plus there's no replacement for displacement. He's not likely to outgrow a 750 as quickly. An early 550 would be nice but around here they're not nearly as plentiful as the 750

Comment

Bah. The 750 isn't much heavier than the 550. Rose can flat foot a 750E. Couldn't flat foot the L. Think it was the seat. Plus there's no replacement for displacement. He's not likely to outgrow a 750 as quickly. An early 550 would be nice but around here they're not nearly as plentiful as the 750
              Don't get me wrong I love my 750, but it's a cow compared to the 550 - I've owned both. They're about the same seat height, but the 550 is noticeably lighter, shorter wheelbase, definitely more flickable in the corners. Even the L. When I got the 750 the 550 sat a lot. Getting back on it felt like getting on a mini bike... just sayin'.

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

550s rock.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                  550s rock.
                  Don't have to convince me! If I had the space and the money I never would have parted with mine.

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Some quick dry weight stats on early chain drive bikes from http://suzukicycles.org/ :

GS 400: 375 lbs.

GS 550: 430 lbs.

GS 750: 492 lbs.
                    GS 1000: 507 lbs.

The 750 and 1000 are somewhat close in weight and dimensions, they had basically the same chassis but the 1000s was beefed up quite a bit for all the extra power. Figure in the actual 1000 engine was (I think) a smidge lighter than the 750, due to absence of kick starter.

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

No offense, but I don't believe in "outgrowing" a bike. I started out on a 425, went to an 850, got the 450, had both of them for a number of years, got rid of the 850 because of all the problems I had with it, and just recently got a CB200 for a 555 ride I'm planning to do in August. I commute to work on my 450, and usually do so between March and October or November. I can easily do 70-80 mph on the highway (although I usually stay in the slow lane and go 55 to save gas), and I typically get 50 to 55 mpg or better. If I'm cruising on state routes (not limited access) at 35 to 50 I've gotten over 60 mpg. It's quicker than most cars off the line, although I rarely try to race anyone on the street (the better to avoid unnecessary entanglements with the LEO's). Nobody can tell me that they are having more fun on their (fill in the blank) bike than I have on my 450. Hell, the 200 is slow, but it's a hell of a lot of fun to ride. Would I like to have some bigger and/or more modern bikes? Sure, but my budget and garage won't accommodate that at this time. I'm also sick and tired of all the macho BS I hear people tell new riders, that they should start out on at least a 600 or 750 so they won't get "bored" or "grow out" of it. I've been riding for 18 years, and I've put on some decent mileage in that time, and motorcycles both big and small are all good in my book. I think a lot of people don't really appreciate how much fun small bikes are, and not all of them are all that slow, but even the slow ones have their charms. I'll get off my soapbox now *rant mode off*

Comment

Agreed. No need to outgrow a 550. Just give it some more revs.
                        79 GS1000S
                        79 GS1000S (another one)
                        80 GSX750
                        80 GS550
                        80 CB650 cafe racer
                        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I'm with ya' David, would be nice to have something bigger for fun, but when the 450 was my daily, I never had a reason to think of upgrading. Only issue I ever had was wind on a couple of rides to sticksville for work in the pouring rain...

Mind you, if budget was to allow for a 750 pop-up Katana, that's a different story... but I'd still keep the 450 too
                          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                            Get a 550, the early one. Kick start, six speed, quick and nimble, when you get bored you can jack it up to 699cc.

do tell? im interested in some more OOMPH from my 550.

Comment

Originally posted by rangerdanger View Post
                              do tell? im interested in some more OOMPH from my 550.
                              Not sure if/how it alone comes out to 699cc, but there have been a few people who have grafted GS650 cylinders/pistons/heads onto the GS550 crank case. There is some grinding involved inside the crank case. A forum search should turn up a few threads.

Comment

Working...
                              X