Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad Input Shaft Bearing?

Hello GSR
    I have had a problem with my 83 GS1100 dragbike/streetbike it has a few mods 1229 kit small tire chassis with a straight cut gear on crank, GS750 basket , mtc lockup and a undercut trans etc.
    Ok here goes....I never used weights on the ends of the lock up arms and decided to give it a try, used a bolt and nylon lock nut on every other arm. I was testing the bike/ improved lock up clutch in my drive way, getting rpms about 6k and semi dumping the clutch when CLUNK the bike just fall on its face. I go to pull the clutch in and it pulls in fine but no action the bike is put into neutrel and pushed back into the Garage

I pull the basket/clutch discs and drives and find nothing really wrong, try and reasemble and find that I can't get the lock nut on the input shaft to stop from locking up the clutch centre when trying to tighten even at 40 ft lbs(it should freewheel), I talked to freinds who said try and shim behind the clutch centre I try shim after shim(small thin washers) and still the centre locks up when tightened. STUMPED I take everything apart find small scorching on the back of the inner Thrust washer behind the oil pump gear not major but I have replacements on a low mile Gs1100 and strip all washers,clutch centre,needle bearing,sleeve,install on problem bike Presto everything works fine for a 5 mile ride,I start the bike up today and same thing happens, inspect clutch centre and it's locked with the clutch basket with the wheel moving in Neutral. Anyone have any idea what the problem is?Anyhelp would be wonderfull...Thanks again.
    Last edited by Guest; 06-19-2011, 09:40 PM.

You don't have enough shim in the hub Rick. The play in the hub should be 8-10 thou according to the Suzuki manual. I will go look to get the exact specs. Ray.

Comment

Ray Hello and thanks for reply, I tried every shim I had on hand from no shim to huge to Very small, behind the hub and still the hub(Suzuki calls it Clutch Centre)locks up tight when the locknut is being tightened.
      Last edited by Guest; 06-19-2011, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Sounds like the oil pump drive gear behind the outer basket is not aligned ??

So with all the fiber's and steel plates removed and the bike in neutral your saying the center basket will not turn by hand ?
        Last edited by RacingJake; 06-20-2011, 09:32 AM.
        1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
        1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
        1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
        1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
        01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

Originally posted by gs1150streetracer View Post
          Presto everything works fine for a 5 mile ride,I start the bike up today and same thing happens, inspect clutch centre and it's locked with the clutch basket with the wheel moving in Neutral. Anyone have any idea what the problem is?Anyhelp would be wonderfull...Thanks again.
          Thats what suppose to happen in neutral cause the the countershaft/inner clutch basket is free spinning too when the engine is running. Now once you pull the clutch lever in and put it in gear the inner basket will come to a stop until you start to release the clutch lever and the inner basket will start to rotate and the bike moves forward.

Comment

Originally posted by RacingJake View Post
            Sounds like the oil pump drive gear behind the outer basket is not aligned ??

So with all the fiber's and steel plates removed and the bike in neutral your saying the center basket will not turn by hand ?
            Jake
            Hello and thanks for the reply,I checked over and over the teeth on oil pump gear are lined up with the rear of the basket . I have done this job many times before with no problems until now.

With plates/fibers removed the center hub will spin with the rear tire or by hand once in neutral,once in first gear its locked with the clutch basket. I took it all apart again today checked to make sure the washer http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...=gs1100+clutch was in the right place...all was good and still NO CLUTCH ???I even took a flash light and looked into oil fill hole,I can watch the plates seperate with the clutch lever and yes I have it adjusted I have a complete handfull of clutch.Any more help would be great I'm out of ideas....Thanks

Comment

Ok, what do you mean by "no clutch", like the clutch won't engage now ?

A few things to check,

-Remove the lockup assy and see if the clutch works again

-Check all 9 fibers for wear, stack height

-Make sure the pressure plate doesn't touch the inner basket when the clutch is assemble

Years ago on my MRE lockup clutch one of the arm screws backed out and made contact with the pressure plate cause the clutch to drag when the lever was pulled in.

If you can post a few pic's of the clutch would help alot too.
              Last edited by RacingJake; 06-20-2011, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gs1150streetracer View Post
                Ok here goes....I never used weights on the ends of the lock up arms and decided to give it a try, used a bolt and nylon lock nut on every other arm.
                ...It seems that everything was fine until you added weight to the lock-up arms. All that additional pressure was directly applied to the back flange of the center hub. Check it carefully, you probably cracked them both.....Billy

Comment

Rick, did you measure & make sure you have the correct AIR GAP when you installed the lock up? Go to MTC's site & read up on the INSTALLATION page if you are unsure of this. Ray.

Comment

Ok, what do you mean by "no clutch", like the clutch won't engage now ?

A few things to check,

-Remove the lockup assy and see if the clutch works again

-Check all 9 fibers for wear, stack height

-Make sure the pressure plate doesn't touch the inner basket when the clutch is assemble

Years ago on my MRE lockup clutch one of the arm screws backed out and made contact with the pressure plate cause the clutch to drag when the lever was pulled in.

If you can post a few pic's of the clutch would help alot too.
                    Ray Jake....Thanks for the support, As in no Clutch...the lever feels normal spring action but will not engage....I took it all apart Again and went back OEM with the outer hub and cover/arm...Clutch was working...I think I have narrowed it down to the lock up/outer hub, I tried another lock up I had on hand and same thing no clutch with lever feeling fine, almost positive it's something with the arm/outside hub and I did inspect for cracks nothing I can see...will post tommarrow after I swap a few more parts around ...Thanks all for the support

Comment

Strange ?? Are you using a RBD cover or just a spacer and the oem clutch cover with the longer rack.

Comment

Strange ?? Are you using a RBD cover or just a spacer and the oem clutch cover with the longer rack.
                        Jake hello and thank for the reply...It's the RBD cover...I have a spacer set up I can use also, Stange is not the word never had so many problems with somthing so simple.....

Comment

Any luck yet ?????

Comment

Working...
                          X