Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS750E Gear Ratio Question

Hi all

Thinking of raising the gear ratio on my 1980 GS750E. Has anyone done this, I am thinking of dropping 2 teeth in the back or adding one in the front, going to buy new chain and sprockets anyway so now is the time to do it.

If you have raised your gear ratio on a GS750E please give me input, I want to raise it as much as I can without making 1st too high.

Thanks, Jerry

I did the 530 conversion on my 1979 GS750E. Went up 2 teeth in front and down 2 in the back. It is a little slower off the line but I found nothing but good things with the conversion. First gear was too low anyhow. A great swap if your not going hill climbing. Much more streetable and not nearly as buzzy on the highway. Mileage even went up slightly.

Comment

Haven't had a chain for over 30 years, but will just let you know that one tooth different on the front is about the same as two on the back.

In other words, adding one to the front will be about the same ratio as dropping three from the back.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I just converted my 82 750EZ to 530 chain and used 18 tooth front and 40 tooth rear sprockets. I should have done this years ago - I am very happy! 3800 rpm in 5th gear at 55 mph and now getting 53.8 mpg (accelerating briskly through the gears.)

I highly recommend Z1 Enterprises!! A quick phone call and they got me exactly what I wanted - lower rpm's throughout the gears and more mpg! X-ring chain fit perfectly.

Comment

Originally posted by smokydog View Post
          Hi all

Thinking of raising the gear ratio on my 1980 GS750E. Has anyone done this, I am thinking of dropping 2 teeth in the back or adding one in the front, going to buy new chain and sprockets anyway so now is the time to do it.

If you have raised your gear ratio on a GS750E please give me input, I want to raise it as much as I can without making 1st too high.

Thanks, Jerry
          Go here:

scroll down to the "downlaods" and you will find the gearing caculator. You might have to alter the variables in the program to your bikes trans ratios, but the gearing calculator is a neat tool to give you an idea of how gearing changes will perform overall.

Comment

Would you take a Ferrari and chug it around until it sounds like a Ford?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              Would you take a Ferrari and chug it around until it sounds like a Ford?
              No, but a GS is neither a Ferrari nor a Ford.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

just asking

Hi all

I wanted to let you all know, I am not a newb to gear ratios, I raced motocross, hare scrambles, and enduros for 20 years. I know all about gear ratios and the effect of adding or removing teeth to the ratio. I just wanted input on this particular bike I was just wanting input on how high a ratio I could go on this bike without making first too high. I dont have the money to experiment with buying sprockets and I value everyone's opinion here and thought there would be a popular consensus on the best ratio for someone who mostly rides at highway speeds. My bike turns 5k RPM at 70mph and I really am not comfortable with that. In my opinion the bikes needs a sixth gear or a higher fifth gear. Plus I would get way better gas mileage on the highway with higher gears.

Thanks for all the input, and thanks for the link to the gear calculator, I appreciate everyones help, Jerry

Comment

Have you tried a 16T front sprocket yet?
                  If your chain is long enough, perhaps a 17T.

Daniel

Comment

thanks

Thanks Daniel,

I am changing the chain and both sprockets so I can pretty much get whatever I want in terms of sprocket. Thanks for the sidecovers too, your awesome Got em all fixed up and painted today, they look great

thanks again for all the input peeps, Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by smokydog View Post
                      Hi all

I wanted to let you all know, I am not a newb to gear ratios, I raced motocross, hare scrambles, and enduros for 20 years. I know all about gear ratios and the effect of adding or removing teeth to the ratio. I just wanted input on this particular bike I was just wanting input on how high a ratio I could go on this bike without making first too high. I dont have the money to experiment with buying sprockets and I value everyone's opinion here and thought there would be a popular consensus on the best ratio for someone who mostly rides at highway speeds. My bike turns 5k RPM at 70mph and I really am not comfortable with that. In my opinion the bikes needs a sixth gear or a higher fifth gear. Plus I would get way better gas mileage on the highway with higher gears.

Thanks for all the input, and thanks for the link to the gear calculator, I appreciate everyones help, Jerry
                      I fiddled with my 1100's gearing a bit as well. I made the same "6th gear" comment 6 years ago after spending a week at highway speeds with my 1100.

Last edited by Guest; 06-24-2011, 04:11 PM.

Comment

I have the same bike in my garage. It likes to rev (isn't it smoooooth for a GS?). 6k is where the power starts to happen so she's being left with the same gearing as she came out of the factory. Suzuki got this one right I reckon.
                        79 GS1000S
                        79 GS1000S (another one)
                        80 GSX750
                        80 GS550
                        80 CB650 cafe racer
                        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

The factory final drive ratio is 2.80:1
                          I run a 2.56:1 ratio for longer, mostly highway, rides and just change the front sprocket for more spirited canyon carving and around town.
                          So, if you go with a 16T ft/ 41T rr. you will have a 2.5625:1 ratio and a simple change of the front to a stock 15T will give you a 2.7333:1 ratio.
                          Roughly a 500 rpm change at 65-70 mph.

Daniel

Comment

thanks

Thanks Daniel, Exactly the info I needed
                            Jerry

Comment

For what it's worh my 85 GS750EF has altered gearing.IIRC it's1 up in thefront and 3 in the backVery happy with that,a long story on how it got that so I'll leave it there.

Comment

Working...
                              X