Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS Exhaust port spacing and header length?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS Exhaust port spacing and header length?

I'm going to switch my 650GL's 2-1 exhaust setup over to a 4-1 one and I'm having a really hard time finding anything other than a new MAC setup for $300. I was hoping to find a set of headers that will bolt up and put my own silencer on but the only stockers that seem to fit are from the 650 Katana and they seem to be a bit scarce in the used parts market and everything else is half of what I paid for the bike. Does anyone know for sure if another bike's headers will bolt up or at least get me close? The length is more important than the port spacing and I'm ok with a little heating, bending and welding if that's all it takes. Would 750 or 850 pipes work with a little modification? Any gurus know if another model will get me there?
    I appreciate any and all suggestions.

Well, it seems the 550 headers will work with a little finesse. Now I just need to find a set.

Comment

I had a set off a 550M on my 650GD that were close. They came with the bike and I think the PO must have put in an extra crush washer to fill the space as the header part that fits into the cylinder head are a little shorter than the replacements I received.

I'm in the middle of changing over to a used aftermarket set (from China Hua Tong Silencers) and if they work out, I could do away with the previous headers. They are black.

Do you have any dimensions form the pipes you are taking off?

Send me a PM if you are interested in pursuing this.
      '83 GS650G
      '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Bonedaddy, have a look at this thread if you want to do a proper job of fitting 550 headers to 650 head.

Comment

BigD, I'm definitely interested if they're 4-1 but I'm unfamiliar with the GD model. I'm ashamed to say that all my measuring devices are at my work so I don't know what the measurements would be.

Suzuki_Don, Nice write-up! Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Working...
          X