New project: EFI and spark using EDIS for my GS1100's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New project: EFI and spark using EDIS for my GS1100's

here lies info on my current project of retrofitting a Ford EDIS4 ignition system into my 1100 as step 1, and then replacing the carbs with fuel injection as step 2. Going to be using a megasquirt unit to control the EDIS4 ignition advance mapping, and then use the megasquirt to control the fuel injection (a much bigger project)

so in step 1 I've got the EDIS4 module, a stock Ford coil pack, the Ford VR sensor and a 36-1 trigger wheel ordered from Boost Engineering for $123.69 to my door (http://www.boostengineering.net/product_p/edis4kit.htm). The trigger wheel I ordered won't be used in the final config, but I will use it to help get a testbed up and running to make sure everything is working correctly and controllable prior to installing this on the bike. I can also shake out the final 36-1 trigger wheel design that will be installed on the 1100.

I'm hoping to be able to have a final design that will fit within the existing signal generator cover area, but time will tell. that only leaves me a bit over 2.5" of diameter room to get the trigger wheel and VR sensor installed into. tight tight tight

Why am I doing this? Just bought a rough 82 1100E that was laid down on the R side and the signal generator was torn out. So instead of trying to reinstall a 30 year old ignition system that is prone to issues now and again I decided to try to upgrade. The E is going to get the full hooligan treatment with suspension upgrades and the like so why not get it running right first to help motivate me to make it look nice as I enjoy riding it around. In the end I'm after a hot spark that I can control. It doesn't make sense to me to shell out the big bucks for a or a Dyna setup that gives me 4 advance settings and 0 programability when for near the same amount I can get 100% spark/advance control 100% AND have the ability to run EFI with tight fuel mapping control. EDIS4 will control spark up to 9.5k rpm (or more), or I can go to all kinds of other possible spark options if I want to using the megasquirt to control spark -- individual coils, COP, wasted spark, etc - in the future if I need more RPM (very doubtful). Plus I have an o'scope that I want to learn to use as well that is just sitting around.

Why EDIS4? its a bullet proof ignition system that is small, weatherproof, very inexpensive, and uber simple. I believe I can mount the coil pack up under the tank alongside the control unit, and stick the megasquirt unit back up under the seat.

Costs? so far $123.69 shipped for the EDIS4, I could have knocked $20 or so off if I didn't get their trigger wheel and ordered the parts individually. Or you can go to the pick-n-pull and get them for less depending on local pricing. There are a few megasquirt options but pricing is generally in the $400 range for prebuilt units, or about $175 or so (iirc) and you build it yourself. Or megajolt jr in the low $100's for spark only. Tuning software to adjust the megasquirt settings is free (megatune), and all sorts of MSq and 3rd party products are available. Initial costs of cutting a trigger wheel will prob run about $50/wheel.

So, so far I've got a few megasquirt units laying around that I can use. I have the EDIS4 setup on order, should be here mid week. I'll start building the test bed with some sort of motor/drill press/etc to spin the wheel and establish a baseline of working equipment.

Link to some EDIS testbench info, nice photos of hot sparks: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14920

Link to megasquirt EDIS page: http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/EDIS.htm

More as I know it, stay tuned

throttlebody reference for futures, not ready for it yet but dont want to lose the link: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=94&t=6602

Comment

Way to go!

I'm interested to see how your experiments with the EDIS go on. I have seen some rumours that EDIS4 has built in rev limiter at 9000 rpm but I haven't got any 100% sure confirmation for this. Fitting a 36-1 wheel inside the signal generator cover might be challenging but probably doable.

Good luck with your project!
      Arttu
      GS1100E EFI turbo
      Project thread

Comment

If you need any help with the MSNS go here http://www.diyautotune.com/ and talk to Matt

Comment

re:rev limit, I've seen limits in the same area, up to 9.5k. For street riding this will be fine for me but I'm anxious to test the setup to see where the upper limits lie.

I've found a 2.5" wheel at trigger-wheels.com but the shipping across the pond to the states is expensive. I sent an email yesterday to diyautotune to see if they can make a 2.5" wheel as well.

Comment

I'm subscribing to this thread.

I have pondered this topic off-and-on for a few years.
            Looking forward to your progress reports.

Comment

Working...
            X