83 gs750e gsxr750 motor swap questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 gs750e gsxr750 motor swap questions

my gs motor is really tired and i have a chance to buy a 91 gsxr 750 . how much of a pain are the motor mounts ? is the wiring as simpple as puting like color wires together ? how well will my stock ignition work with the gsxr ? i will be greatfull for any help . thanks

Man, I'm no expert, but I'm sure it can be done, providing you can fabricate and weld. The ignition is going to be a trick as well, but Dyna sells systems that can make it fire for you. Wiring is most likely going to involve mostly schematics for your 83.
    But 1st things 1st. How tired is it, and why? Low compression? Your valves could need adjusted.

Comment

Low compression,smoking a little and a few strange noises

Comment

Sounds like a good adjustment will fix you right up!

Comment

Sounds like you should investigate the valve clearances before you jump into an engine swap. Adjusting the valves in the 4 valve engines is really easy, well worth the effort and could save you a big expense. Ray
          "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
          GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
          1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
          1979 GS1000SN The new hope
          1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

i don't understand how a valve ajust is going to help with smoking. the sound it makes sounds like a cricket at idle and i got a whine in the trans going down the road. i think this bke had a very rough life before i got it last year. 30,00miles on it

Comment

The cricket sound, that could be worn or missing exhaust gasket. When I got my GS (a bit less then 3K miles) it had been sitting for more than 15 years. I replaced the metal o-ring gaskets and that sound went away. The smoking is most likely oil leaking past the valve seats, into the CC and burning with fuel. A valve adjustment will do WONDERS! It did on my evil '79 750 "L".

The transmission, well.. You could just need a good service. I have heard of many GS with alsmot twice those miles. I am thinking a good high mileage oil or even Shell Rotella 15-40 would help that on your next change. Maybe? Thoughts anyone else...

Comment

it only smokes when im hard in the gas . between that and the low compresion tells me it's most likely rings. the chirping sound sounds like it's coming from the back of the jugs. timing chain or guide ? whats the valve lash specs on this 4 valve motor ? i'm running moble 1 10w-40 full syn
                Last edited by Guest; 08-03-2011, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Call rapid ray he can tell you all about that conversion

Comment

Originally posted by mattrushmore View Post
                    it only smokes when im hard in the gas . between that and the low compresion tells me it's most likely rings. the chirping sound sounds like it's coming from the back of the jugs. timing chain or guide ? whats the valve lash specs on this 4 valve motor ? i'm running moble 1 10w-40 full syn
                    Valve lash is .09 to .13mm

Comment

thanks guys

Comment

thanks again guys .u guys are a lot more helpfull than those guys on the kz forum. (i own a 83 kz750f ltd also)
                        Last edited by Guest; 08-11-2011, 08:31 PM.

Comment

I don't know but it seems Suzuki builds better forums to.This one and my previous haunt of SVRider where very helpful places.

Comment

Working...
                          X