82 1100E oil cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 1100E oil cooler

I'm wanting to mount an oil cooler to my 1100e. I have the cooler, and need some ideas for getting the oil to and from. I saw the thread on making your own adapter plate, but I'm not confident in my ability to do that. Anyone have a source for just the adapter plate? Maybe a machine shop where you had one made and they can do another? I have a feeling if I try to use a local shop, it will cost a fortune and maybe not even come out right.

I am confident I can adapt the lines to fit whatever I can come up with, but I need a solutuion for the adapter plate. Many thanks for any ideas, picking up my GS tonight, look for pics and an intro thread soon...

Originally posted by kawfeedave View Post
    I'm wanting to mount an oil cooler to my 1100e. I have the cooler, and need some ideas for getting the oil to and from. I saw the thread on making your own adapter plate, but I'm not confident in my ability to do that. Anyone have a source for just the adapter plate? Maybe a machine shop where you had one made and they can do another? I have a feeling if I try to use a local shop, it will cost a fortune and maybe not even come out right.

I am confident I can adapt the lines to fit whatever I can come up with, but I need a solutuion for the adapter plate. Many thanks for any ideas, picking up my GS tonight, look for pics and an intro thread soon...
    ask GregB; he has a few unfinished units

Comment

Somewhere there was a mention that the 2 bolts beside the oil filter caps are gallery feed lines.That is how the cooler on my 85 750(Canadian)is attached.Can get pics if you like.Anybody confirm this.
      Last edited by Guest; 08-17-2011, 11:09 PM.

Comment

I have adapter plates, but for an 1100E, it's better to grab the oil flow from the front of the engine, on either side of the oil filter. You also need an 1150 oil filter cover, or to restrict the feed line in some way just under the cover. Lots of into on both these matters in the archives.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
          I have adapter plates, but for an 1100E, it's better to grab the oil flow from the front of the engine, on either side of the oil filter. You also need an 1150 oil filter cover, or to restrict the feed line in some way just under the cover. Lots of into on both these matters in the archives.
          Absolutely. You DO NOT want to be drilling your oil filter plate (it makes changing the filter a hassle, and it deviates from the built-in capabilities of your engine). You can still purchase the banjo bolts and crush washers from OEM suppliers to use the factory oil galleries. Make your own stainless steel lines and you are almost there. The 1150 filter covers have skyrocketed in price; all they do is restrict the oil flow. You can make your own restrictor with a drilled rubber plug and you are there.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            Yep; I realized I was thinking top end oiler and not oil cooler. The cheapest way to address this is to get one of the newer GS550 coolers complete with banjo lines and plug or otherwise modify your filter cover to block the flow like an 1150 cover does.

Comment

This site is quite a piece of work. Between it, and the drawings at bikebandit, I think I got the hang of it.

Barring finding the right peices on ebay or buying the GS500 set up (I think I want to have stanless lines built), does anyone have any info on the size of the rubber stopper needed, and if there is a 'type' of stopper to use? I know certain types of rubber hold up to high temps better than others, and I'd like to have the right one on-hand when I dump the oil to do the mod.

As always, thanks again guys.

Comment

I have a complete set off a 83 750 if you would like it.

Comment

This site is quite a piece of work. Between it, and the drawings at bikebandit, I think I got the hang of it.

Barring finding the right peices on ebay or buying the GS500 set up (I think I want to have stanless lines built), does anyone have any info on the size of the rubber stopper needed, and if there is a 'type' of stopper to use? I know certain types of rubber hold up to high temps better than others, and I'd like to have the right one on-hand when I dump the oil to do the mod.

As always, thanks again guys.
                  Yes. At least I did at one time. Let me see if I can track it down and post here as an edit.

Edit:
                  Found it. Go here: http://oldskoolsuzuki.info/
                  On the upper left under NEWS select GSX/EFE KATANA
                  Under ARTICLES the bottom selection is Oil Cooler Installation. Select that and it will take you to the article. The images are no longer available according to my Linux box. But all the information, including the dimensions and how he calculated them, is still there. AFA what type of rubber, I'll leave that to someone who knows about the chemical interactions, which is not me.
                  Enjoy.
                  Last edited by Guest; 08-05-2011, 04:19 PM.

Comment

I have an 1150 cover modded for external oil cooler lines. I have no need for it, it's sitting in a box, if you need one i'll sell it to you cheap as a member favor.

Comment

Originally posted by Road_Clam View Post
                      I have an 1150 cover modded for external oil cooler lines. I have no need for it, it's sitting in a box, if you need one i'll sell it to you cheap as a member favor.
                      Ummm, are you sure it is an 1150 cover? The 1150 cover has the restriction built in, so modding it sounds counterintuitive. Externally the 1100 and 1150 covers appear identical; only when you compare the inside of the cover side-by-side can you tell the difference. On the right side the 1100 cover has an open area, the 1150 has a restriction at the same place.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                        Ummm, are you sure it is an 1150 cover? The 1150 cover has the restriction built in, so modding it sounds counterintuitive. Externally the 1100 and 1150 covers appear identical; only when you compare the inside of the cover side-by-side can you tell the difference. On the right side the 1100 cover has an open area, the 1150 has a restriction at the same place.

1150 covers have a PARTIAL restricted port. You need this 1150 cover's partial restriction to be able to divert the oil through the added cooler lines. I added two 3/8 NPT ports as takeoffs for the external oil cooler lines up to a thermostatically controlled Lockhart cooler. I checked for adequate flow prior to assembling the system and it flowed perfect.
                        Last edited by Guest; 08-09-2011, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Road_Clam View Post
                          1150 covers have a PARTIAL restricted port. You need this 1150 cover's partial restriction to be able to divert the oil through the added cooler lines. I added two 3/8 NPT ports as takeoffs for the external oil cooler lines up to a thermostatically controlled Lockhart cooler. I checked for adequate flow prior to assembling the system and it flowed perfect.
                          Look, I am not here to argue. But you are fundamentally incorrect.
                          First, a restricted port is just that. I have no idea what you might conceive as a "PARTIAL", but restricted means limited, so I think we are saying the same thing in different words. If you sit a 1100E cover next to a 1150 cover, you can see: The 1100 cover has an open area on the right. The 1150 has a restriction. This allows some oil to flow, but would allow the oil to flow other places if it was easier. This is where the built-in oil valleys of the 1100E case come into play. It is easier for the oil to flow through those valleys than through the restriction.
                          I cannot see altering a system that works, however, if starting over, I would not bypass the built-in capabilities of the 1100E cases. Everything is already there, just use it as it was intended.
                          Last edited by Guest; 08-11-2011, 06:59 AM.

Comment

ok, I've read this and I'm guessing that the way the oil cooler on my 1100ez isn't factory. Now my question is should I leave it alone or should I fix it like it should be. And how should it be?

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                              Look, I am not here to argue. But you are fundamentally incorrect.
                              First, a restricted port is just that. I have no idea what you might conceive as a "PARTIAL", but restricted means limited, so I think we are saying the same thing in different words. If you sit a 1100E cover next to a 1150 cover, you can see: The 1100 cover has an open area on the right. The 1150 has a restriction. This allows some oil to flow, but would allow the oil to flow other places if it was easier. This is where the built-in oil valleys of the 1100E case come into play. It is easier for the oil to flow through those valleys than through the restriction.
                              I cannot see altering a system that works, however, if starting over, I would not bypass the built-in capabilities of the 1100E cases. Everything is already there, just use it as it was intended.
                              OK well reguardless of what you think, here's the thread with a lot of great info on exactly how I did it, and bottom line the cooler flowed as it should with my modded 1150 cover :

Comment

Working...
                              X