No announcement yet.

650 top end on 550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

made a start on the hydraulic clutch conversion , need some more holes to lighten it a bit ,

how much free play should there be between the rod that pushes the clutch and the cylinder ?

Comment

Originally posted by dansofield550 View Post
      made a start on the hydraulic clutch conversion , need some more holes to lighten it a bit ,

how much free play should there be between the rod that pushes the clutch and the cylinder ?
      Factory spec calls for making contact with the rod then backing off 1/4-1/2 turn so it's not much. Nice work.

Comment

Thats pretty radical. I'm working on the same conversion but don't really have access to machine such a beautiful plate like that. What bike is your slave from? I took mine off a 92 750. Is there any chance you are willing to creat another to sell to me? I'm loving your work , very inspiring.
        1978 GS550 E
        673cc swap / the hot rod

2013 GSXR
        New daily rider

2012 RMZ450
        for playing in the dirt

Comment

the slave is from a zx7r, i could make another but have no ally plate left , i tend to make things from left overs i have from other jobs, i can email you a dxf drawing if you like, then you could take it to a local engineering company that may do you one ,

Comment

PM sent. Thanks Man.
            1978 GS550 E
            673cc swap / the hot rod

2013 GSXR
            New daily rider

2012 RMZ450
            for playing in the dirt

Comment

Awesome pictures thanks a lot.
              Why didnt you crack the case before trimming?

Comment

Originally posted by 240punk View Post
                Awesome pictures thanks a lot.
                Why didnt you crack the case before trimming?
                thought that with it all still together i could be happy the rods would clear the cylinder liners , and as i was gonna split the engine and dishwash it , it was no big deal

Comment

Wow thats really great looking
                  sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Comment

couldn't seem to buy any inlets to suit my 650 head and flatslide carbs so made some of my own,

Now that is the spirit! like that hydro clutch conversion, I didn't know that was possible. All kinds of new things coming out today.
                      1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                      1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

For those how maybe interested in the more current 550/650 build, here's mine , the cams I used were the 650 with the 550 sprockets drilled out to fit , I used the 605 cams as they would have been the best fit in head as they'd worn to suit one
                        another

Comment

Working...
                        X