Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

replacement outer forks from newer bike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

replacement outer forks from newer bike?

I need to replace the lower/outer fork sections on my GS1000 chop and keep my extended inner forks (they are 37mm aren't they?). Is there a GSX or GSXR fork I can use and still keep my standard twin disc front wheel? I'd like to retain calipers too but if I have to use the calipers from the later bike then its not the end of the world.

GSX1100 lowers will fit. The calipers will also fit though you will have to use caliper mounting brackets from a GS(X) with a leading axle (L bike or 80/81 GSX750 /1100). GS850 lowers will fit as well (and so will XN85 ones as well but you won't find any of them).

You'll have to mix and match internals to suit.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Hi Hampshirehog, thanks for the reply. Sorry to be dim, just need to get it straight in my head.... so I need to get caliper bracket from GS1000L or GSX750/1100.. is this for mounting my current calipers or for mounting GSX calipers?
      Thanks for your advice

Comment

If you plump for lowers with the leading axle you will need to get the caliper brackets that go with that fork design. With the leading axle forks the wheel (and of course disc) sits maybe 2cm more forward so you need the correct bracket to adjust this.

If you are running with the round pad type of caliper you will need a whole new set up. If you have the later square pad type you will need to look at the parts diagram to scheck which one you have got to see if the leading axel caliper will fit. The designs are too similar for me to describe and look interchangeable but some parts aren't..
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Thanks for the explanation. I think I understand. I will have a look and see what i can get hold of. Thanks so much for the help HH.

Comment

Working...
          X