Kickstand swith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kickstand swith

I have the bad habit of driving away with the kickstand down. I know a lot of newer bikes have a switch which prevents the bike from starting until the stand is up. I would like to install something like this and would welcome any tips or tricks that you may have.
    Has anyone done this mod in the past?

Starting in '82, with some of the bikes larger than yours, Suzuki had a side stand switch, but it only turned on a light on the dash panel. It did nothing to prevent you from riding away with it down.

I suppose you could cobble something up, and hopefully you get it done before trying a left turn with it down.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I crashed a bike once because I left it down. I learned not to anymore.
      NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
      Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

My '98 Bandit 1200S had an interlock system that prevented you from driving away with the kickstand down. If the neutral light was "off" (transmission in gear) and the kickstand was down, the engine would shut off as soon as you let the clutch out far enough to activate the clutch switch. If you studied the wiring diagram of the Bandito's interlock switch system you might be able to cobble something together to help you break your "bad" habit.

Comment

Used a momentary button and attached to sidestand and installed red light on dash, not a kill switch, but has prevented me from driving away with it down several times

Comment

Working...
          X