No announcement yet.

81 GS650 tuning help Dynojet stage 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alright soooo its looking like a sync tool is a must and just going off some plug chops isnt gonna cut it damn, I was so hoping to get my bike out on the road tomorrow I dont have a nanometer, and none of the local shops have one. lol and to top it all NONE of the local parts stores or hardware stores have one to sell me "sigh" Im guessing noone has any suggestions to get them synced and running good without the tool either Im just not seeing a way around it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gsnoob View Post
      Alright soooo its looking like a sync tool is a must and just going off some plug chops isnt gonna cut it damn, I was so hoping to get my bike out on the road tomorrow I dont have a nanometer, and none of the local shops have one. lol and to top it all NONE of the local parts stores or hardware stores have one to sell me "sigh" Im guessing noone has any suggestions to get them synced and running good without the tool either Im just not seeing a way around it.

I have a Morgan Carbtune II..it works great. I have used the other types and like the Morgan one the best.

Comment

What's a good idle rpm for this bike. I think I mentioned before its a 81 gs650

Comment

Okay i pulled carbs back out bench synced them have sync tool commign tomorrow, I Worked it out so it idles very smooth. Against my better judgment i just had to take it around the block and see what rpm range felt like not even 5min running WOW its like a competly different bike however I just had to hit it a little and see and as i thought it stumbles and falls flat on its face if I lay on the throttle goes like never before up to about 5-6k range thats when she hesitates and feels like has no power, only hit it once afraid id hurt something not having it synced yet. got back and still idleing smooth any suggestions about the high rpm range?

Comment

ya..that is where I was too. the hard part is knowing whether its lean or rich. being that mine wasnt smoking..I assujmed lean and raised the needle a notch...also need to know if you have enough flow resistance to draw the needle up and let the jet flow. With the stock airbox and stock carb setup, all these things were worked out by Suzuki engineers. If I had it to do over again, I would have stayed stock and maybe just played with the main jet a bit or maybe shimmed the needle.

good luck with it.

Comment

Wich clip did you say you used the secound form bottom? I think im 3 down from top, did switchign the clip fix the issue or did you have to change mixture as well?
              Originally posted by Bribird View Post
              ya..that is where I was too. the hard part is knowing whether its lean or rich. being that mine wasnt smoking..I assujmed lean and raised the needle a notch...also need to know if you have enough flow resistance to draw the needle up and let the jet flow. With the stock airbox and stock carb setup, all these things were worked out by Suzuki engineers. If I had it to do over again, I would have stayed stock and maybe just played with the main jet a bit or maybe shimmed the needle.

good luck with it.

Comment

Wich clip did you say you used the secound form bottom? I think im 3 down from top, did switchign the clip fix the issue or did you have to change mixture as well?

the issue sounds like a main jet issue. I think you may need to raise the needle some more....leave your mixture alone if its starting easy and idles smooth. I got into my motor some as far as a mild port then a polish job, then did the 4into1 exhaust and K&N pods...what worked for me I dont think would work for you, its basically matching the flow of the carbs to the exact setup of the bike. I feel your pain man, been there. I would try raising the needles up 2 grooves and see how it acts.

Comment

Just curious you mention no washer on the new needle? The install sheets all say use the washer not doubting you just wondering what difference leaving it out makes I got everything installed lastngiht but got stuck on the awesome little c-clips holding the old needles in didint have a clip puller so borrowing one form shop today hope to finish tonight. Also sheets say remove float bowl tube if there is one what tube are they refering to? And yes i have doubts but I wanna learn myself how to tune this bike and cant find anyone local who will touch the bike so all on me also there is just something about saying yeah i did the work my self that makes you feel proud to be riding it. Unless of course i fck it up completly and then will be no riding but lets hope that doesnt happen lol

I forgot what it was like trying tuning it myself 30 years ago. well, you'll eventually get it right or push it home -- at best
                  Last edited by trippivot; 09-10-2011, 10:58 PM.
                  SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Originally posted by trippivot View Post
                    I forgot what it was like trying tuning it myself 30 years ago. well, you'll eventually get it right or push it home -- at best
                    LMAO!! its only funny cause its true...my push home was only a mile from my house after doing the coil relay mod....even a test running of power wires deserves some electrical tape at least..LOL

Comment

Okay so i just pulled my plugs from that test drive earlier didnt have time to pullem earlier Im pretty sure ive determined i think rich is why im having troubles all my plugs are blacker then black, and all i did was run around the block and get on the throttle till she stumbeld and didnt wanan go. So my question now is what changes shoudl i start with? or where shoudl i go form here mix srew adjust clip adjust?

Comment

LMAO thats great im sure sometime in my tuning process i will will be endup in the same boat lol
                        Originally posted by trippivot View Post

Comment

I was really hoping to have gotten a reply I really need help at this point I set my mix using high idle method and she seems to run good till I hit main jet then stumblea has no power and turns plugs blacks I'm guessing I need to adjust my needle clip question is what way so I go to lean it and how many notches should I jump I'm on third from top right now hope someone posts soon thanks

Comment

If you are trying to lean it out, raise the clip which will lower the needle. So, if you are third from the top now, try 2 from the top.

Comment

Well update i didnt have time to switch the needle until lastngiht took out this morning and its better now before on 3rd notch I couldnt hit it hard in 1st at all or or it would stumble and run like **** till i let off now i can hit ti in 1st - 3rd but top ens of 3rd stumbles i can seem to cruise but if i hit it stumbles and has power loss a high rpm plug chop still looks to me like rich they are still fairly black so what do i do at this poitn is it okay to raise that clip all way up to 1st notch? Or have i developed some other issue note that bike ran fine before kit was just way to lean cause of exhaust

Originally posted by UncleBen View Post
                              If you are trying to lean it out, raise the clip which will lower the needle. So, if you are third from the top now, try 2 from the top.

Comment

ok I re read thru this thread. and I want to help.

when installing a jet kit you start with getting a excellent idle FIRST- ok?

I need to know you are not tuning it until the engine is too hot to touch the fins -- get a fan blowing over your engine OR take it for a ride with tools in a pouch. I've whipped off the tank and carbs in a parking lot and made changes many -o- time. (hint) Dont get gasoline on your grips they melt

changing the main jet has nothing to do with getting your bike to idle properly..

put in the smaller main jets again and see what it does.

you may go straight to the top groove but if you are blackening the plugs it's going to be the worse as the throttle is opened widely for highway riding

In my experience- having a smaller main jet and the needle lifted as high as it goes is better than having of a big main jet and the needle in the leanest position.
                                SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Working...
                                X