No announcement yet.

81 GS650 tuning help Dynojet stage 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im so fustrated, took it out for the test ride same crap get it up to 4th 5th gear and soon as im past half throttle bogs like hell till i let off and blackens plugs, is there a way to tune the main jet or is it simply go smaller jets till its right? I hadnt switched to pods yet could that be doing it? I opend up air intake thinking so but same thing bog black plugs? Low end mid range feel okay I can cruise 55mph soon as im in 5th and go much over that it bogs liek hell, am I missing something here I knwo the install manual called for removing float bowl tubes but i didnt see anything to remove besides a copper tube in the float bowl that went down to the base of bowl but didnt touch it? What am i doign wrong W.O.T is a no go

Comment

If you are tuning it now with filter box and then are going to switch to pods later you will be starting all over just about from square one. get it set up the way it will be with pods/exhaust and THEN tune it. Other wise you are wasting your time.

Could be that you will not be as rich with the pods in and not need to go to a smaller main. Other wise if it is still rich at WOT, you will have to try smaller jets.

Comment

I don't know why there is a set of 155 in a 650cc kit.. I think you should have 105 or 110 or 115. But carb tuning is part voodoo ..

steadily reducing fuel in 10% increments is wise until you get in the range your engine requires.

155-subtract 10% = 139.5 ( or what ever is closest) ride it and do it again until you have brown plugs.

I have 137.5 mains in my 1150 CV carbs I get a slight oscillating surge at WOT -- (touch lean)

I have 145 in my rs36 on a 1500cc racing engine.

mikuni brand jets -- in my engines (but the 10% thing still holds true)
        Last edited by trippivot; 09-21-2011, 10:14 AM. Reason: added brand of jets I use
        SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

I know the more air flow the leaner you get and the kit does say for use with pod filters grrr I spent 113 bucks on this kit I'd hate to have it be use less and start dropping smaller mains so I think I might overnight a set of pods cause I wanna install them anyway. My question is what do I do with the oil tube going from top of engine to air box and what assuming it some kinda oveflow tube

QUOTE=UncleBen;1506176]If you are tuning it now with filter box and then are going to switch to pods later you will be starting all over just about from square one. get it set up the way it will be with pods/exhaust and THEN tune it. Other wise you are wasting your time.

Could be that you will not be as rich with the pods in and not need to go to a smaller main. Other wise if it is still rich at WOT, you will have to try smaller jets.[/QUOTE]

Comment

Originally posted by Gsnoob View Post
            I know the more air flow the leaner you get and the kit does say for use with pod filters grrr I spent 113 bucks on this kit I'd hate to have it be use less and start dropping smaller mains so I think I might overnight a set of pods cause I wanna install them anyway. My question is what do I do with the oil tube going from top of engine to air box and what assuming it some kinda oveflow tube
            That hose is just the crank case breather. Order a small filter to plug into the end of the hose and route it out of the way. If you need to get up running with pods cheap and fast, the Emgo pods are OK. Just make sure you measure your carbs to get the right size pods.

Comment

Thanks I was actually looking at the Emgo ones like 5 min ago, and they are listed as a specific fit for my bike ill measure when i get home to make sure but im assuming since says specific fit and they made me choose bike they will most likely fit. Ill see what i can find to filter the breather I think I might have something at home.
              Originally posted by UncleBen View Post
              That hose is just the crank case breather. Order a small filter to plug into the end of the hose and route it out of the way. If you need to get up running with pods cheap and fast, the Emgo pods are OK. Just make sure you measure your carbs to get the right size pods.

Comment

Thanks for the info Trip I actually pulled stock 110s out of it as i said to Ben im goignt o try pods and if thats a no go ill start backing down my mains yeah if your running 145s on a race bike im surprised this stg 3 had 155s and 160s lol there was even a stg7 i coulda ordered i can only amagine what that had in it. Thanks for your info if these pds dont hels ill start the 10% decrease
                Originally posted by trippivot View Post
                I don't know why there is a set of 155 in a 650cc kit.. I think you should have 105 or 110 or 115. But carb tuning is part voodoo ..

steadily reducing fuel in 10% increments is wise until you get in the range your engine requires.

155-subtract 10% = 139.5 ( or what ever is closest) ride it and do it again until you have brown plugs.

I have 137.5 mains in my 1150 CV carbs I get a slight oscillating surge at WOT -- (touch lean)

I have 145 in my rs36 on a 1500cc racing engine.

mikuni brand jets -- in my engines (but the 10% thing still holds true)

Comment

A couple of things to consider:
                  DynoJet main jet numbers are not the same as Mikuni numbers, which is why they are so high. I am running 170s in my GPz.
                  If you need filters on the cheap, get the APE oiled units. Much easier to tune and filter better, IMHO.
                  My DynoJet kit had the wrong jets in them also, it came with 180s and 185s. Not sure if they tune at 2000 feet below sea level or what, but I used a wideband so I know my numbers are good. It also did not come with pilot jets. I had to order some from Z1Enterprises, and I went up 2 sizes.

Comment

Well i wish i woulda checked back beforer placing order I woulda checked out the APEs. However by time I looked here order was placed for the EMGOs overall including overnight shipping was only 59$ Ill prolly go with something a little better quality next spring im just trying to get her up and running for last few weeks of riding. HOpe im okay with my pilots but will adjust as needed after pods I have a local suzuki dealer that says he has hole drawer of pilots just no mains thanks for tips

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                    A couple of things to consider:
                    DynoJet main jet numbers are not the same as Mikuni numbers, which is why they are so high. I am running 170s in my GPz.
                    If you need filters on the cheap, get the APE oiled units. Much easier to tune and filter better, IMHO.
                    My DynoJet kit had the wrong jets in them also, it came with 180s and 185s. Not sure if they tune at 2000 feet below sea level or what, but I used a wideband so I know my numbers are good. It also did not come with pilot jets. I had to order some from Z1Enterprises, and I went up 2 sizes.

Comment

DynoJet sells the mains for $2 each plus shipping ($7 IIRC). I got 3 sizes because it was cheaper than placing 2 orders if the first order was still not correct.

Comment

Alright so update I just got my Pods and will install them tonight so much for overnight I placed order last....oh I think wed called thursday "Oh im sorry we are outa stock on those and they will ship within a day or so "lol I just cant win

Comment

Alright pods installed much better all way through Rpm range i retuned my idle and took her out for test ride Sooooo much better and not turning plugs black anymore plug chops from idle to basic cruise are all pretty good lookign across all cyl.

After getting her all warmed up I did do a hard run from stop to about 70ish she holds all way though 5th at W.O.T how ever in top end of 4th I still fell tad bog but almost entirly gone and no bog at all in 1-3rd

5th does still fell fairly boggy after about 7k or about 3/4 throttle on up if I open it up from a cruise speed of about 55-60ish but still not blackening plugs anything like before they are more of a dark brown now at a plug chop at W.O.T in 5th and i can still feel the boggy hesitation but NOTHING like before the pods any suggestions before wihtout ordering a new set of mains?

Comment

what main jet and needle setting are you using now? and where are your float bowl vents vented to?
                            SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Thanks for getting back to me okay so I left needle on top notch with the little washer underit

And I'm still a tad unclear about the float bowl vent tubes those are the 2 vent lines that go from the carbs and run up under the tank correct? They are in stock locations free of kinks and pinches however my install kit said the float vent tubes MUST be removed what is your advice on this should I remove them and cap it or leave them or what?

could that be causing my 5th gear bog after 3/4 throttle ? At first I had no idea what they were talking about so I looked it up on google I was real iffy about touching them sorry if my post is little messy doing it from my phone

Originally posted by trippivot View Post
                              what main jet and needle setting are you using now? and where are your float bowl vents vented to?

Comment

Just take the vent hoses off and leave the T's open

Comment

Working...
                                X