Stalling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stalling

Hi all I have a 78 GS 750 which I have had for about 6 years, it is beautiful condition but I am having some issues with it. When I crack the throttle she bogs down and looses power in gears 1,2,and3 4 and 5 are fine. The other thing that has been happening lately is that the bike stalls out for no apparent reason at times it is hard to start the starter engages but it takes a couple of try''s to get her to kick over. At times when it kicks the RPM's are well below on and I need to nurse the throttle to keep it running. The bike has a KVM filter which I checked and is clean. Puzzled. I should let you know that my mechanical skills on a bike are pretty novice.

Thanks
    Jeff

Howdy,

So BassCliff will be along shortly to give you a welcome, along with a small boat load of priceless information that you won’t be able to live without.

His web site is here : http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/

Did you just add those filters? If yes, then have you checked that the needles are adjusted appropriately? Have you done any carb maintenance recently? If not, then maybe it’s time to think about a clean, rebuild and balance. Should you decide to go down that path then, as a novice myself, I’m here to tell you that it’s not difficult as long as you apply some patience and a little common sense.

Others, more knowledgeable than I will be along shortly to provide you with more sagely advice.

Cheers.

Comment

I agree with Andy. How about starting off with telling us exactly what maintenance YOU have done with this bike. Many POs will tell you one thing but are usually lying about it so YOU need to know for yourself what kind of condition your bike is in.

So, when was the last time the carbs were properly torn apart, dipped for 24 hours each, had the orings replaced, and put back together?

How many turns are the mixture screws?

Were the carbs properly synched?

Is the air box sealed with weatherstripping?

What condition is the petcock vacuum line in? Are the vent lines attached and run properly?

Have you done a valve adjustment?

Your bike is old so it will require maintenance. Dig into the archives here (search by titles), read up on Basscliff's site, and ask questions. It will run so well you'll wonder what the PO was thinking.
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
      X