Put on New Blinkers that dont blink well

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Put on New Blinkers that dont blink well

I changed the big blinkers on my 81 GS450TX to a smaller size marker/blinker not DOT qualified lights. New and old light bulbs are both 12v, 23wats, but since I hooked them up they don't blink at idle rpm, the lights just light up, until I rev up the bike to just past 1500 rpms then they blink slowly and the higher the RPMs the faster they blink. Are there specific blinker bulbs that work better then standard bulbs? Any help to remedy this is appreciated.
    Thanks
    Dibber

Make sure the electrical connections are good- especially the ground.

Comment

+1 with Larrys suggestion. poor grounds.. Create resistance in the circuit.. decreasing the current flow thru the flasher , hence the slow flash rate.
      If the grounds are clean and tight, you may try a newer TRANSISTORIZED flasher designed for smaller lights. Probably just a 2 lamp flasher will suffice.
      Your old flasher may just not be suitable for your new lights. Your old lights are incandescent bulbs. What style of bulb are in the new lamps?
      New flashers are relatively inexpensive.
      Here is a link to a good flasher manufacturer that explains different styles. http://www.tridon.com.au/Products/Pr...G=478&P=104173
      I hope you resolve your problem

regards
      Dave
      Last edited by Guest; 09-10-2011, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Electrics is my weak spot. Thanks for the explanations and flasher info. I will have to do some snooping around.
        Dibber

Comment

Not my GS, but my SV, has incandescent bulbs in front, and had integrated LED signal in back. I added better LED signals in the back, and also upgraded the flasher to an electronic flasher.

Autozone has them, EL12 is the part number I believe. about six bucks or so. They're load-independent, so a mix of LED/incandescent bulbs still blinks at the same (proper) rate.

I plan on doing the same for my GS once I get it up and running again.

--sarge

Comment

Your problem is there is not enough resistance to bend the bi-metal strip that does the blinking event..

heavy duty car style blinkers are known for causing this problem on very low watage M/C/ bulbs

higher wattage bulbs -or- another light bulb in the circuit of both left and right side. Yeah who wants 3 blinkers per side.. radio shack also has resistors you could solder in. I know revving it to blink is a hassle but some how you have to get the circuits to use more electricity with the blinker unit you have.
            SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

SgtRauksauff, you information was right on. Took a while but I went to Autozone and bought an EL12 Flasher Relay and the lights are working great. All I had to do is rap the round flasher with a strip of old inner tube rubber and zip tied it to the bike. (original flasher was a rectangle shape vs round EL12). Thanks for the help as was everyone's who replied. This is a great forum.
              Dibber

Comment

The thing that will probably help you the most in this case would be to put this in the ELECTRICAL section!!! Ray.

Comment

Working...
                X