Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installation of an Oil Pressure Guage

Hi Guys,
    Thought I'd do a quick writeup on these oil pressure gauges...
    Decided that it would be nice if I did a quick write up on installing one, even though its really oh so simple.

The gauge was purchased from ebay, but the same seller exists here on the forums (renobruce)

If you sell parts or provide services for GS series motorcycles, place a description of it in this forum.

Its as easy as this.
    Remove this bolt..

The kit comes with all the required parts...These are two seperate parts

install this..

Then this...

Then adjust to your desired angle...

And its done. I havn't started the bike up yet (as its still in rebuild status) but it should be running soon...fingers crossed)

No I dont think you can use that for your oil cooler...unless you fabricated the right parts for it but even then, I think its not possible.

Typically, the oil cooler mod that is used, goes where the oil pressure switch is located...I'm not really sure if you could use the oil port for an oil cooler. I would prematurely say its impossible, as the oil port is quite small, and you would need to accomodate for 2 channels (hot oil coming out, and cool oil coming back) which I think is too small....

Comment

Originally posted by Highway_Glider

I could then just have a "T" fitting and put an oil pressure switch in place of that bolt...

Or is there more to it? A reason not to place the switch there?

DP

You could do it that way. Instead of a T on the adapter just use an elbow, then add the pressure switch on the oil galley. One possible problem though is there may not be enough oil pressure at the switch, so your oil pressure light may flicker at idle when the engine is hot. I'm frankly not sure if this would be the case or not, but it wouldn't surprise me.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Could an oil temperature sender/pickup be located there and hooked up to an oil temp guage?

Call me stupid but I think I might be more interested in the temp than the pressure????
        GS Score Card
        4-400 Series GS's
        3-500 Series
        1-600 Series
        1-700 Series
        4-800 Series
        1-1000 Series
        2-1100 series 1982 GS1100G In stable now
        sigpic

Comment

Bringing this one back... I would be really curious to see if an oil temp/pressure combo gauge was available
          '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
          '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
          '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
          '79 GS425stock
          PROJECTS:
          '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
          '77 GS550 740cc major mods
          '77 GS400 489cc racer build
          '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
          '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

They sure do:

Get the best deals for Suzuki GS Oil Pressure Guage at eBay.com. We have a great online selection at the lowest prices with Fast & Free shipping on many items!
            1978 GS550 E
            673cc swap / the hot rod

2013 GSXR
            New daily rider

2012 RMZ450
            for playing in the dirt

Comment

Originally posted by boontonmike View Post
              they are just pressure gauges, not a pressure/temp combo
              1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post

Good catch. I'm not sure temp is really needed.
                1978 GS550 E
                673cc swap / the hot rod

2013 GSXR
                New daily rider

2012 RMZ450
                for playing in the dirt

Comment

what the benifit of doing this

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck78 View Post
                    Bringing this one back... I would be really curious to see if an oil temp/pressure combo gauge was available
                    I don't recall seeing a 2" combo analog gauge. I have a VEI dual function digital OT/OP gauge currently on my Sabre (was on an ST1100 before that and a C10 Concours originally). The gauge runs about $90 and the senders $30-40 (total) as I recall. They offer many combinations. I am now using two more of their dual function gauges on my GSX-G project to monitor OP, OT, fuel level, and volts. These are of course electronic not mechanical gauges and cannot be mounted to the engine as the small one in the first post is.

VEI is a great company to deal with in my experience. They will modify the gauge to remove the settings button for motorcycle use, and offer a black bezel option as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                      old thread but this is the oil temp/pressure gauge I'm installing

Comment

I have an Innovate AFR gauge in one of my cars. All of their stuff is good, albeit pricey (I see the combo gauge is $189). Does that gauge only have one digital display (pressure) so the temp is non-numerical (outer LEDs) or can you switch between the two while riding?

I like seeing both at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyler View Post
                          old thread but this is the oil temp/pressure gauge I'm installing

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/x...6&cat=0&page=5
                          You think this one is old? Where have you been when they are dragging up threads from five and six years ago?

By the way, I could not see a picture of your gauges. Your posted picture only showed a box with a red X in it, and the link brought up the manufacturer's page, but no picture there, either.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                            You think this one is old? Where have you been when they are dragging up threads from five and six years ago?

By the way, I could not see a picture of your gauges. Your posted picture only showed a box with a red X in it, and the link brought up the manufacturer's page, but no picture there, either.

i can see a pic of the gauge, even shows in the "quote" on your post....
                            also the link i see shows a pic too!
                            Last edited by Agemax; 01-04-2013, 09:53 AM.
                            1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Problem I have with this, is unless you plumb it somewhere near your dash/bars, it's only good stationary, unless you're actually going to try and read it while riding which is stupid.

Comment

Working...
                              X