Installation of an Oil Pressure Guage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
    i can see a pic of the gauge, even shows in the "quote" on your post....
    also the link i see shows a pic too!
    Probably the firewall I am behind at work.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by old_skool View Post
      Problem I have with this, is unless you plumb it somewhere near your dash/bars, it's only good stationary, unless you're actually going to try and read it while riding which is stupid.
      Why wouldn't you want to put it where you can easily see it while riding? I'm confused.

In my case, this is going in a racing sidecar and it will be mounted in the front of the chair where I can look over at it. Whilst on the grid, I can look at my temps and yell at the starter if he takes to long to start the race. When I'm racing, all I see is road. I don't even look at the tach.

My #1 reason for buying it was to be able to download data. I want to know what the temperature is doing during the race and the pressure. I need to know if my oil cooler is large enough to keep the temps down, if I need to add a fan, etc.

Comment

My comment was only regarding street bikes, mounting it down on the engine where it would be difficult to see. Not saying in some applications it doesn't have merit, I think a lot of add ons, are just extra gadjets to have, just because you can.

Comment

im with olskool on this

I put a gauge on my 1100 when i used a top end oiler. which type you use dictates whether or not you lose your oil pressure sensor. Anyway ....i plumbed it into the same spot, ran some braided S/S oil line up over the motor and up through the steering stem which is hollow. I drilled a hole in the top nut just big enough for the plumbing and put a rubber grommet into it. Once the gauge is attached it just presses snugly back into the grommet. Perfectly placed for road riding , glance at the speedo /gas/ rev counter and get a glimpse of oil pressure same time....

Comment

Originally posted by old_skool View Post
            Problem I have with this, is unless you plumb it somewhere near your dash/bars, it's only good stationary, unless you're actually going to try and read it while riding which is stupid.

That is a good thought I had never thought of, how the heck am I going to look at my gauge while I'm riding? and I can only imagine it will be vibrating so much I won't be able to read it even if I could safely look at it. What's everyone else doing to see their gauges while they're riding?
            Rob
            1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
            Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Working...
            X