79 GS550 aluminum swingarm??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 GS550 aluminum swingarm??

I was wondering if the aluminum swingarm from an 85 GS550 would fit the 79 model. Otherwise, does anyone know of a relatively direct bolt-on alum swingarm?

Re: 79 GS550 aluminum swingarm??

Originally posted by carbonfiber
    I was wondering if the aluminum swingarm from an 85 GS550 would fit the 79 model. Otherwise, does anyone know of a relatively direct bolt-on alum swingarm?

I don't think they'll fit. A quick flip through bike bandit shows the 79 model is twin shock and the 85 is mono - at least the two models I compared were.

The other thing you might try is; if your buying this off of ebay get the seller to measure it up to see if it will fit into your frame.

hope this helps...Sam

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I figured the 85 might use a perimeter frame, but I thought it was worth an ask. I seem to recall reading something where some of the larger displacement GS's from the late 70's to early 80's came with an alum swingarm that was more or less a direct bolt on to the GS550, but I can't find the info now that I am actually looking for it.

Comment

They started alum swing in 83 went to mono shock for 84, If you find one make sure to get all of the related parts, Axel and spacers, bolts

Comment

There were a few aftermarket companies making aluminum swingarms for the older GS's; Fox comes to mind. See if you can dig one up on Ebay or from a wreckers somewhere.

Comment

Working...
          X