Exhaust wrap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust wrap

I really like the look. But will it cause other issues. I was going to wrap the headers.

No good for street use, the pipes will disentigrate in time. Might be Ok for a drag bike

Comment

Originally posted by bakirkwold View Post
      I really like the look. But will it cause other issues. I was going to wrap the headers.
      yes, anybody with any taste in motorcycles will hate you!
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Just ignore them - they don't like the look (and neither do I and 1000s of others) but it's your bike and if you like the look that's ok - you might not like my bike. You'll be fine. Obviously if you ride in the wet they'll look even worse but I guess you would realise that anyway.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

zorst wrap looks like joan collins varicose vane bandages. horrible
          1978 GS1085.

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
            zorst wrap looks like joan collins varicose vane bandages. horrible
            But Joan Collins back in '78................
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer
            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
              But Joan Collins back in '78................
              horrible, should have been exhaust wrapped up then as well imo. she would have made a good mummy in a horror film
              1978 GS1085.

Comment

I like the look and it keeps the heat down. but as for causing problems I dont know.

Comment

If you do use it, there is a proceedure for putting it on. Can't remember off the top of my head, but it should be put on wet, then ride the bike to dry it out, then it should be sprayed with a sealant paint they sell for it.
                  A warning though, when wet, and hot, it smells like a dead crackwhores butt. I'm assuming, cause, NO fellas I don't know what a dead crackwhores butt smells like. But you need to seal it or it will trap water, and rot your headers otherwise.

I like the look on a vintage race replica, or a cafe or bobber. The usefulness is supposedly keeping exhaust temps in the pipes up to aid in scavenging. Whether or not it works, I have no idea.

Comment

when i wrapped my pipes. i did it dry. then rode the hell off of it. when i stopped at lights. the wrap smoked like a s.o.b! but they eventually stopped. if you ride in the rain make sure they dry out in the garage or put a fan directly on them to help dry out. all that water sitting there in the wrap will accelerate the rusting.(so try not to get caught in the rain!) but cafe. your right. wrap them then use some kind of silicone spray that comes with the kit.

Comment

i did mine. soaked it in a bucket....wrapped them.....rode the bike....(smelling like a dead you know what...lol) came home and sprayed with silicone black sealer. I've had no problems. Came out great and looks great. Just make sure you have the s/s bands tight.

Comment

I wrapped mine dry as well. Mostly because I wanted to hide some ugly welds, small dents, and rust pits. If left wet it will rot the pipes, but I did it to a MAC header so it's no real loss lol.

Comment

I plan on doing this to my B-12 down the road...

Hear ceramic coating is the best thing you can do for heat shielding. It keeps the exhaust headers cooler and in doing so gives you an increase in power. I just want to do it for that 1200 produces enough heat already and it would be nice not to burn my hand off when I take off the oil filter. Aparently you can go for a spirited run, pull over and within minutes touch the exhaust header without burning your hand. Sure would be useful in those breakdown situations...
                          Last edited by Jedz123; 11-27-2011, 09:34 AM.
                          Jedz Moto
                          1988 Honda GL1500-6
                          2002 Honda Reflex 250
                          2018 Triumph Bonneville T120
                          2023 Triumph Scrambler 1200XE
                          Cages: '18 Subaru OB wagon 3.6R and '16 Mazda 3
                          Originally posted by Hayabuser
                          Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

So whats the verdict? As long as you wrap them right and seal them they are fine? I am just thinking it will increase the temp of the head.

Comment

I wrapped the stainless exhaust on my TransAm. It should not trap heat in the head; instead it forces the heat back and out the exhaust. It will increase the heat in the can as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X