My Project '77GS750B Dragbike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Project '77GS750B Dragbike

Got it on the 3rd of Jan. Have headers and stock seat on the way. (anyone need a king/queen type seat?). Just got a matching cast front wheel. Installed Pingle wheelie bars and lowered front end with straps. Engine is stock. Goal is to have a consistant bracket racer. May want to modify to go faster later. Will take to track to run for the 1st time on Jan 31st. See it at members.cox.net/vtr1000

I started drag racing back in 1977 (Kaw H1 and 1036cc Honda car tire bike) and just recently am getting back into it.

We did not have electronics and the like back then, but am curious about MSD/Dyna ignition systems and also rev limiters. I am also interested in what parts are interchangeable with the other Suzuki GS series bikes (750/1000/1100) Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
    phil

Phil, the first thing I'd do is make sure it had a good ignition, i.e. Dyna S and Dyna coils & wires. Next, make it as light as possible. Wire spoke wheels from the OEM were much lighter (approx 40%) than the cast ones and many models interchange. Brake rotors from '82-'83 GS1100s will fit and were thinner plus drilled. Keep the kickstarter and remove the electric starter and all associated hardware; good for almost 40 pounds if done completely. Check to be sure but I think a GS850 top end might fit; one of these with good compression plus a head with the big ports and CV carbs would help alot and be affordable. Remove as much weight as reasonable ($$$) + tune to run well + solid drivetrain + good traction + set it low = alot of fun at the drags. Keep it simple, and learn to ride it before getting too exotic. Also can use 2v GS1000-1100 cams in it as well; don't know if the OEM ones will help much but they do interchange. Have fun.

Comment

Thanks for the information! I do want to keep it simple and fun!

Comment

Update

Got the VH headers and stock seat installed today. Beginning to get a lot of spare parts. Anyone need : airbox, stock exhaust, non-stock touring type seat (looks comfortable), and turn signals?

I added another picture today on members.cox.net/vtr1000

phil

Comment

First Runs

The bike handled and launched well, but was running too lean and fell flat on its face after the launch.

Just won a Dyna ignition system on Ebay today, ordered 15/49 sprockets/530 chain conversion from moto-heaven, and will order some larger jets to play with tomorrow.

Best time in the 1/8th was a pathetic 9.863 @ 71.679 mph. I am pretty sure if it ran right it should be in the low 8's. Will find out on the 21st and keep you all posted. (the 31st of Jan was canceled due to rain)

Comment

At least you have a baseline to start with now and those times will fall !!

My track does'nt open until 20 Feb
            1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
            1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
            1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
            1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
            01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

Thanks. I know about the racing seasons in Texas. I started drag racing in south Texas back in 1977 (Corpus Christi and Edinburg).BTW, I have a son that lives in May, Texas (somewhat near to Abilene, and another in Richardson.

Originally posted by RacingJake
              At least you have a baseline to start with now and those times will fall !!

My track does'nt open until 20 Feb

Comment

great starter bike! when I was playing the game a fellow racer had one with a 1-2-3 auto tranny &mid 800cc kit and raced it while puilding a Pro-Stocker and had more fun than a man could ask for. It never broke and was dead on his dial in EVERY time. Somebody took the wall out of his garage and stole the Pro bike in the middle of the day His sister was the best bike parts person/mechanic I ever saw at a dealership and knew more than any 5 guys I knew about bikes. I miss the game but slow bikes are few and far between any more and when you dial in 2.5 seconds slower than your opponent it really messes with 'em watching you dissapear into the distance before their side of the tree starts coming down 8)

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Gibbs
                  I miss the game but slow bikes are few and far between any more and when you dial in 2.5 seconds slower than your opponent it really messes with 'em watching you dissapear into the distance before their side of the tree starts coming down 8)
                  I know that feeling. I used to run a stock Pinto that was dead on 21 seconds at 60 mph in the 1/4 and running with 12 and 11 second cars. It was a sight to see me with an 10 second head start. Got the finger more times than I can remember back then, but boy was that fun taking a $400 street Pinto and beating up those thousands of dollars drag cars.

Makes me want to do it again

Comment

Just got the Dyna ignition today and installed it in less than 15 minutes. I also put some 118 jets in the carbs.Now I am just waiting for my sprockets and chain to show up. March 6th will be the next date I can run at Barona which is the official start date for our Summit Series, but I may try to get in at the Racelegal.com program some Friday night before then.

Here's an official Barona photographer shot:

Comment

BTW, I called Dynojet and was able to get the DJ series jets for $1.50 each.

Comment

Here is what she looks like now. Just waiting for March 6th

Comment

That pic reminds me of my 78 GS550.

Comment

if i can ask....where did you find the v&h exhaust?

Comment

I won them on Ebay

Comment

Working...
                              X