Trouble w/ my '77 gs 750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trouble w/ my '77 gs 750

Rode My 1977 gs750 out to the desert a month ago and stupidly didn't check the oil levels. I just barely made it to my friend's house when the bike died and wouldn't move...it still started up but the clutch wouldn't engage...

since then I have: Replaced the clutch, rebuilt the carbs, replaced air,oil and gas filters, battery is on trickle charge...

The bike still doesn't perform properly. It takes a lot to get it started and when i try to come out of 1st gear and accelerate I lose RPMs, speed and then the bike stalls...

any advice or help would be hugely appreciated...

thanks in advance..

j

First, please don't double post. Edit one of them and delete it. We are all friends here (mostly) and will do our best to assist.

Comment

you're going to have to be a lot clearer than that to get much of a diagnosis. What do you mean by "it takes a lot to get it started"? When you say the bike loses rpm, under what conditions is this happening? Increasing throttle? Constant throttle under load? choke make any difference? will it come back to life by letting off the throttle?

Comment

When was the last time that you changed the points and condensers?

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by jayzer81 View Post
          Rode My 1977 gs750 out to the desert a month ago and stupidly didn't check the oil levels. I just barely made it to my friend's house when the bike died and wouldn't move...
          So how low did the oil level get? Did the oil light flicker? Did it come on steady?
          Did smoke come out? Did it make funny noises?
          How far is "Out to the desert?" 5 miles? 5,000?
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
          X