850 engine,,,,????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

850 engine,,,,????

hi guys ,,,what bigger kits can i easily put on an 850 ,,,, ,,regards oldgrumpy

What? Like a big bore kit? Probably easier to swap in a 1000G or 1100G engine.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

What he said, and use the 850 engine as a big bore kit on a 750.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Yep. Just get the engine, carbs, airbox, and driveshaft from an 1100G or 1000G.

With that said... if you're unhappy with the amount of power from the 850, I might suggest you manfully grab the twistgrip and spin the thing. The 850 is a very entertaining engine, but you have to keep it spinning between 6,000 rpm and redline to get real thrust.

There's no replacement for displacement, of course, but a properly prepared and ridden 850 won't fall behind a 1000G or 1100G at all.
        Last edited by bwringer; 12-26-2011, 09:53 PM.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Nobody ever answered this. How big can you go with the 850 hardware?

Comment

Back in the day, you could buy either a 870 kit or a 920 kit for them.
            They are now incredibly scarce.
            Wiseco will make you 70mm or larger pistons with the same 16 mm rod pin size but, you must buy the kit. ($6-700 IIRC)

Eric

Comment

some one on here had custom pistons with higher compression, wilder cams, he was happy with it, you will have to search to find the write up on it.

Comment

Originally posted by kdo58 View Post
                some one on here had custom pistons with higher compression, wilder cams, he was happy with it, you will have to search to find the write up on it.
                I did all of that back in 1980 myself.

Eric

Comment

Comment

JE 894 Update

I thought an update was now appropriate on this issue.

I did my JE 894 cc rebuild at 77000 kms. The bike has now just klicked over 100000 kms. It still runs great and out performs much higher capacity machines on a regular basis.

When I did my dyno testing, the bike was down on compression on the #3 cylinder. This was due to my clumsy hands at assembly resulting in a damaged oil scraper ring which gouged a groove on the cylinder wall. That pot was reading 160 psi when all the others were at 180-190. the Dyno Operator was concerned at the amount of smoke being generated during each run. I assured him the the engine wasn't about to blow.

I have since fixed the oil control rings on #3 and improved the carb tuning since the dyno sessions. Also, I have found that I can run 91 octane up to 28 deg C and gain further torque than that achieved while using 98 during the dyno sessions. When temps reach 30 deg+ I use 95 and accept the reduction in mid range torque to safe guard against detonation.

My current BB 850 is getting close to completion. I will dyno it and then re-dyno the 894 cc version to find out what improvements I have achieved since it's first dyno session.

These engines do respond well to going well over square! The comparison between the 2 engines should be interesting.
                    :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
                    GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
                    GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
                    GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
                    http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Looking forward to the comparison.

Eric

Comment

Working...
                      X