1981 GS450 Kickstart conversion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 GS450 Kickstart conversion?

Hey everyone, my first post on this forum. Was wondering if anyone has done an electric start to kickstart conversion on a GS450? if so please tell me what parts are needed to do this.

Welcome.

No.

None, it can't be done.

If you want a kick starter, you will have to find an older bike.
    Suzuki stopped providing kickers in '80.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I think it could possibly be done, BUT you would need to split the cases.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
        I think it could possibly be done, BUT you would need to split the cases.
        No Don BC is right.Don't belive the 450/400(Canada and some other markets got TSCC 400's)ever had a kick starter.Had a 79 400,81 or so400 and a 86 400 at the same time.Earlier cases are completely different,nothing would transfer.

Comment

Reading between the lines of a few posts on this topic over the last 6 months or so makes me think it could be done... *but*... it looks to me like you'd need the right cover off an earlier 400 or 425, you'd need to sacrifice the oil pressure switch in the ignition cover (400's and 425's don't have one), and you'd need to work out where you'd need a hole in the upper and lower crankcases for the shaft.

Of course I'm completely ignorant on the subject and am only surmising from earlier posts and what others have reported... while I'd love a kick starter on my 450 there's no way I'm up to that much of a challenge and there's no way I'm pulling it down again just to try... I don't want a kick starter that bad!
          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Looks like your best bet is to always park on a hill

Comment

Or step up to a 550.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Not to steal the thread..but would it be easier on an 84 550l?

Comment

No that engine is not made for a kicker at all.Nothing of the previous engine design left.

Comment

Working...
                  X